Performance of ships in seaways
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bettar Ould el Moctar
Malte Riesner M. Eng.
Sebastian Sigmund M. Eng.
The joint research project “PerSee“ dealt with the safety of ships in heavy seas and their optimisation under operating conditions. For this purpose, numerical and experimental methods were developed to determine the added resistance and required engine power of ships, see Figure 1.
After integrating the developed numerical methods into an optimisation software, different types of ships were optimised. Besides the optimisation of the ship design, scenario techniques were considered to operate ships more efficiently. Regarding safety concerns, a ship’s behavior in heavy seas was investigated and the attainable ship speed in different weather conditions was calculated, see Figure 2. This is an important parameter for the design of ship structures and, as a consequence, influences ships’ mass.
Funded by the European Union
- el Moctar, O., Sigmund, S., Ley, J. Schellin, T.E., 2016, "Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Added Resistance of Ships in Waves", J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng , DOI: 10.1115/1.4034205
- el Moctar, B., Sigmund, S., Schellin, T.E., 2015, “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Added Resistance of Ships in Waves”. 34th Int. Conf. on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, St. John's, Canada
- Ley, J., Sigmund, S. and el Moctar, B., 2014, “Numerical prediction of the added resistance of ships in waves”, International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- Sigmund, S., el Moctar, B., 2016, “Numerical Prediction of the Propulsion Characteristics of Ships in Waves”. 35th Int. Conf. on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Busan, South Korea
- Riesner, M., von Graefe, A., Shigunov, V., el Moctar, O., 2016, "Prediction of Non-Linear Ship Responses in Waves Considering Forward Speed Effects", Ship Technology Research, 64.
- Riesner, M., Sigmund, S., el Moctar, Palm, M., Springer, J., O., Valanto, P., Harries, S., Cura Hochbaum, A., Uharek, S., Abdel-Maksoud, M., Scharf, M., Shigunov, V., Wagner, J., Binkowski, E., Bronsart, R., 2016, "Performance von Schiffen im Seegang -PerSee", Schriftenreihe Projektträger Jülich, Statustagung Maritime Technologien der nächsten Generation 2016.