Programme for the promotion of excellent early career researchers
Support for your own third-party funding application
Are you a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Duisburg-Essen striving for an academic career? Would you like to realize your own research project but still need time and resources to prepare your grant proposal?
The UDE Programme for the Promotion of Excellent Early Career Researchers ("UDE Programm zur Förderung des exzellenten wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchses") supports you in this phase with initial funding. You can apply for personnel, material and travel funds up to a maximum total amount of 30,000 € (to be spent usually within one year).
The Rectorate invites applications within the programme twice a year. The call for application is normally published at the end of January and the end of July each year. It will be made public via the dean's offices, the Campus:Aktuell newsletter, and on this website. Applications can only be submitted on the announced dates.
Call for Applications
34th funding round
Applications for the 34th funding round are now open. The call is aimed at postdoctoral researchers from all disciplines except the Faculty of Medicine. Applications can be submitted by 30 September 2022.
Please find further information on submitting applications and eligibility criteria in the guidelines available for download in the "Documents" section below. Please also note: Currently (July 2022), no originals are required; scans of signatures are sufficient for the submission. If you have any questions about submitting an application or would like advice, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Simon Kresmann (Graduate Center Plus/SSC).
The FoKo has decided to grant an additional year since the 31st round of the programme due to the pandemic-related circumstances. Thus, in deviation from the guidelines, candidates are eligible to apply up to 5 years after their doctorate.
The aim of the Programme for the Promotion of Excellent Early Career Researchers is to lead outstanding postdoctoral researchers of the University of Duisburg-Essen to a third-party funding proposal.
Funding is provided for preparatory work that leads directly to the formulation of a third-party grant proposal for an independent research project. Candidates can apply for staff, material, and travel funds up to a maximum total amount of 30,000 € to be spent usually within one year. The UDE Rectorate will decide on funding based on a proposal of the Commission for Research, Career Development & Science Transfer (FoKo).
We expect from candidates that
- you have completed your doctorate no longer than five years ago
- you intend to pursue an academic career
- you have not received third-party funding for a major research project at the time of application (rejected applications and personal scholarships do not count)
- you are planning a scientifically ambitious, original project and can explain it to an interdisciplinary committee in a comprehensible way
- you want to sharpen your own research profile through this funding programme
- you can present a publication list (in quality and quantity) corresponding to your discipline and academic age
- you may already have received awards (advantageous)
- you may already have research experience abroad (advantageous)
- your planned third-party funding project will also benefit the UDE and the research topic fits into the UDE research landscape.
The above-mentioned aspects play an important role in the review process. The evaluation takes place in two stages. First, the FoKo reviews the applications (October 22) and then invites selected candidates to a short presentation and interview (November 22). Their recommendation is ultimately approved by a Rectorate decision on funding (December 22).
Submission of applications
Please send your application by the announced deadlines to:
Graduate Center Plus/SSC
☎ +49 (0)201 183 2015
Dr. Anke Hellwig
☎ +49 (0)201 183 2941