Step 8 - Accommodation

Admission to higher education does not automatically come with an offer of a place in a student residence as is common in other countries. This means that you are responsible for organising your own accommodation. There are different ways of finding a room or an apartment:


Student residences

The University of Duisburg-Essen does not offer places in student accommodation itself. The Studierendenwerk is the student services provider responsible for the student residences. You can apply to the Studierendenwerk for a place in a student residence even if you have not yet received a letter of acceptance/admission from the University of Duisburg-Essen. The earlier you apply to the Studierendenwerk, the better. You make your application for a room online.

Private housing market

You can of course search on the private housing market for a furnished apartment/room or a place in shared accommodation (Wohngemeinschaft or “WG”).

Useful links for your housing search:

Important terms when you are looking for an apartment or room:

Picture credits

sajola /


Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg

Reckhammerweg 1
Student residence administration
45141 Essen

Office hours