Latest Information on Coronavirus Regulations

Travelling to Germany

Please check beforehand whether you will enter Germany from a designated area of variant of concern or whether you have spent some time in such an area up to 10 days before entering Germany. The relevant information can be found on the following website: Robert-Koch-Institut

If you enter Germany from an area of variant of concern, please follow the following instructions.

 Travellers from areas of variants of concern

  1. Before travelling to Germany, please inform the authorities about your plan to enter the country here: Einreiseanmeldung Your registration will be confirmed. Please make sure you have the confirmation document with you when entering the country.
  2. Please get PCR tested to prove that you are not infected with SARS-CoV-2. Tests must have been conducted by professionals (no self-applied rapid tests!). Test results may not be older than 48 hours and must be provided in one of the following languages: German, English, French, Italian, Spanish.
  3. After arrival, please go into a 14-day-quarantine. During this period, you may not leave your appartment and may not receive any visitors from households other than your own. It is not allowed to leave quarantine before the end of this period.

ATTENTION: International students and researchers from areas of variants of concern can enter the country only on the following conditions:

  • Students and PhD students need a letter of admission, researchers need a hosting agreement or a contract of the same tenor providing details on the research project.
  • valid visa
  • vaccination with one of the vaccines recognised by WHO


If you develop symptoms after your arrival, please follow the steps described here.

For further information, please visit the following websites:

General regulations in Germany

If you want, please download and activate the Coronavirus warning app. For more information, visit Information on the Coronavirus warning App. These are the current regulations in Germany.


  • Keep a distance of at least 1.5 meters from other people.
  • Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly for at least 20–30 seconds.
  • When coughing or sneezing, hold the crook of your arm in front of your mouth and nose.

 Medical masks

In somec settings, you need to wear a medical mask, e.g. on public transport and in medical contexts.

Regulations on state level

Currently, there are additional statutory regulations in the State of North Rhine-Westphalia (as of 30/09/2022). Please note: the regulations mentioned below are only the most relevant ones.

 Medical masks

On public transport, at the doctor’s, and in hospitals, you need to wear a medical mask. Medical masks are surgical masks and FFP2 or KN95/N95 masks.

Cinemas, theatres, shops, etc. can still demand from their visitors to wear a mask.

 Public life

In NRW, shops, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, etc. can still continue to apply the 3G rule, the 2G rule, or the 2G plus rule. In hospitals and care facilities, there still is an obligation to get tested.

3G = Only vaccinated (geimpft), recovered (genesen), or tested (getestet) individuals can access 3G events/services and have to present proof for their 3G status.

2G = Vaccinated and recovered individuals can access these services and need to prove their 2G status. Others are excluded from these activies.

2G plus = Vaccinated or recovered individuals need to prove their status and additionaly need to present a recent test result.

What to do if you have symptoms

If you have symptoms such as a high temperature, a cough, or a loss of your sense of smell or taste, please stay in your apartment and avoid contact with others. Besides, please call a general physician or the Corona helpline of the city where you live. If you cannot get hold of them, please call KVNO.

One of your contacts tested positive for COVID-19? Please get tested and practice social distancing.

Regulations on campus


Are my lectures happening online?

How do I write my exams?

Which regulations apply to our campuses?

Click on the link below to find the answers.


Current Regulations at UDE


Please check these links for information on how to get tested in

The so-called Bürgertests (rapid tests) cost EUR 3.00. They are still free of charge for people who cannot get vaccinated, who share a household with an infected person, visitors of hospitals, and infected people who want to leave quarantine on the fifth day. The State of North Rhine-Westphalia provides an online form where you state the reason for getting tested.


Please check these links for information on how to get vaccinated in

You can also get an appointment at your doctor's office.

Everyone who is insured by a statutory or private health insurance provider in Germany has a right to be vaccinated. The same holds true for everyone who permanently resides or has their habitual residence in Germany.



Corona helpline: +49 201 88 88999

Local Health Authority: +49 201 123 8888


Corona helpline: +49 203 94 0049

Local Health Authority: +49 203 940049


Non emergency medical line (KVNO): 116 117

Any questions? Please contact

Ms Lisa Woytowicz