Tasks of the University Archive
The archive of the Duisburg-Essen University whose inauguration took place on 26/04/2006 is still in the process of being set up.
Its tasks include:
- The examination and archival evaluation of documents, papers, files, card catalogues, plans and maps produced by all Departments and Institutions of the University of Duisburg-Essen, and which are no longer required for official business;
- the acquisition of documents of archival value and their conservation;
- the documentation of the archive material using a registration system;
- provision of this archival material for the general public - while observing the legal waiting period;
- as a basis for legal security;
- as evidence of the administrative process;
- as a historical source;
- targeted collection of material relevant to the history of the University (e.g. professorial bequests or printed materials produced by all University Institutions such as flyers and lecture schedules with commentary);
- research into the history of the merged University and its preceding institutions;
- collaboration in the formation of the commom identity of the merged University through the reappraisal of the past and the creation of a memory for the future;
- supplementation of the subject History by the provision of academic and archival skills in the form of seminars and practical courses.
We request the help of all University members past and present in the collection of documents concerning the founding phase of the Polytechnic University/the Universities in Duisburg and Essen, namely from 1972.
At present, you can find us here:
Adress and contact.