The licensed services and products of the University Library (databases, electronic journals, e-books) can be used by University members independently of the provider and beyond the campuses.
To do this, you need access via VPN (Virtual Private Network).
VPN connection via AnyConnect
With the new connection software "AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client", the CIM offers a new and secure VPN access to the UDE network.
The connection is still in the trial period.
Please not the CIMs detailed installation guidelines.
VPN connection via PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol)
Simple access, is necessary to use databases and to get full text access to most e-books. Available for:
How do I install a VPN connection for Windows?
For an easy configuration with Windows you can download and use a script:
- Save the Script ("vpn-uni-due.pbk") by clicking the right mouse button ("Save target as" = "Ziel speichern unter").
- Execute it locally by double clicking.
- Please choose the network connection Uni Duisburg-Essen VPN von extern:
- Click on Verbinden (= connect).
- Enter your Unikennung (University identification or UDE ID) in the input field Benutzername (= user name) and your password:
- Click on Verbinden (= connect)
To disconnect, choose the file "vpn-uni-due.pbk" again and click on "Auflegen ..." (= disconnect).
In case the script doesn't work, you can find instructions for manual Windows configuration on the CIM web pages.
more about „Manual Windows configuration”