Structure and history
The term CViS and the associated website is the logical parenthesis to describe a very successful cross-faculty cooperation in the area of desktop virtualization with vmWare Horizon View, which has been practiced for many years.
This parenthesis/brand is intended to simplify both internal university communication and communication with external partners. For example, information for users will be simplified (central point with up-to-date information), and joint successes will be presented more easily in publications.
- 2009: The IT Service Center (ITSC) of the Faculty of Economics is a pioneer in the field of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure at German universities and provides up to 400 VMs for software-supported teaching/learning.
- 2012: Faculty of Biology wants to introduce VMs. Research for existing experiences at the UDE brings the contact to the ITSC. This results in cooperation in the form of a cluster within the ITSC infrastructure.
- The implementation is successful and very fast
- 2014: The Department of Construction Sciences (Faculty of Engineering) plans to introduce VDI to improve the service for students, research and teaching. The Rectorate provides funds (ZLV 14-17)
- 2015: Decision to establish two new VDI clusters together
- 2016: Decision to lead the cooperation under the name CViS = Competence Cluster Virtual Systems
- 2016: Commissioning of the new VDI cluster, start of VDI implementation in the construction sciences department.