DFG Research Funding
In cooperation with Professor Neff we conduct the DFG funded project no. 415894848 (Neff/Birsan):
„Modelling and mathematical analysis of geometrically nonlinear elasto-plastic Cosserat shells with higher order effects“.
Funding period: 2019-2022
Professional Interests and Awards:
My research focuses on
- Mathematical methods in the theory of elasticity and thermoelasticity
- Theory of shells and plates, theory of rods and beams
- Theory of media with microstructure: porous materials, Cosserat media
- Continuum Mechanics: deformable solids
I published 60 scientific articles in mathematical jounals, technical journals (Engineering and Mechanics), and chapters in books and conference proceedings. Furthermore there are two books, and one is about the deformation of porous elastic plates and the theory of Cosserat Shells.
For my contributions on deformation of elastic Cosserat Shells, I received the "Gheorghe Lazar Award" of the Romanian Academy of Sciences, in December 2007.
The "Nicolae Teodorescu Award" was rewarded to me in 2012 by the Academy of Romanian Scientists for the articles I published in the years 2010 and 2011.
In 2008 I received a research fellowship of Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung for a research in the Department of Engineering at Martin-Luther-Universität in Halle-Wittenberg. I was invited by Prof. Dr. Ing. Holm Altenbach and spent 15 month (2008-2010) as a Visiting Professor at the Universität Halle-Wittenberg.
During the years 2005, 2006-2007, 2009-2011, as a project manager I conducted three research projects and participated in several others as an associate. These research projects were funded by the Romanian Government Department of Research.
In 2011 I was an associate in the prestigious research project: "Modern Composites Applied in Aerospace and Surface Transport Infrastructure" (CEMCAST), funded by E.U. 7. Rahmenprogramm (RP7-REGPOT-2009-1, Grant Nr. 245479), which was coordinated by Prof. Ing. Tomasz Sadowski , Lublin University of Technology, Poland. I worked for 9 month (January-September 2011) as a research fellow at the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Lublin University of Technology, Poland.
Peer Reviewer for:
- Journal of Elasticity
- Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik (ZAMM)
- Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids
- Applied Mathematical Modelling
- Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik (ZAMP)
- Journal of Engineering
- International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics
- Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics
- International Journal of Solids and Structures
- Reviews in Mathematical Physics
- Journal of Applied Mechanics ASME
- Archives of Mechanics
- Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures
- Anal. Sci. Univ. "A.I. Cuza" Iasi, Ser. Matematica (Rumänien)
- Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures
- Journal of Physics: Conference Series
- Anal. Sci. Univ. "Ovidius" Constanta, Ser. Matematica (Rumänien).
Member of Editorial Board:
Database Entries for Mircea Birsan:
- GAMM (Gesellschaft für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik),
- AMS (American Mathematical Society),
- SSMR (Society of Mathematical Sciences of Romania).