Birte Horn received her M.A. in History and English in 2004, after studying at the University of Bielefeld and the Johns-Hopkins University, USA. After a short excursion into the wondrous world of high school teaching, she returned to university life at the University of Duisburg-Essen, where she is currently teaching at the Institute of Anglophone Studies (American Studies) and pursuing her PhD degree.
- Contemporary American Culture
- American Film
- American History
forthcoming: "The Role of Documentaries in Redefining American Womanhood"
Conference Papers and Talks
- "The 'Superwoman' in Contemporary American Culture. Popular Feminism in Movies and Television Shows of the late 20th and early 21st century", Spring Academy, Heidelberg, 2005.
- "The Role of Documentaries in Redefining American Womanhood", Documentaries and the Narration of Nation in the Americas, Bielefeld, 2005.
- "Xena, Buffy and the Other Usual Suspects: Power, Gender and Nation at the Turn of the Millenium", Of Fatherlands and Motherlands: Gender and Nation in the Americas, Bielefeld, 2006.
- "'We're your arch-nemesises ... ses' - Buffy and 'The Trio': The Americanization of a Mythological Motif, Joint Conference of the National Popular Culture and American Culture Associations, New Orleans, 2009.
- "Gender Roles in American Television Shows: Challenging and Diversifying Notions of Gender on Buffy the Vampire Slayer", Annual Conference of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Amerikastudien, Jena, 2009.
Courses Taught at the UDE
- HS A Survey of American History
- PS Introduction to American Civilization
- HS Gender and Gender Roles in American Television Shows
- HS "Hooray for Hollywood" - The Hollywood Studio System from the 1910s -1960s
- HS Slave Narratives from North America, the Caribbean and Africa
- HS The Poet of Africadia: George Elliott Clarke
- HS "With a Gun and a Rope and a Handful of Hope" - Facts and Fictions of the American West
- Brückenkurs Englisch für Teilnehmer aller Fachrichtungen
- Technisches Englisch für Studierende der Bachelor-Studiengänge NanoEngineering und Elektrotechnik/Informationstechnik
- Technisches Englisch für Technical Logistics (Master)