Lab Learning Analytics and Visual Analytics
Lab Course: Learning Analytics and Visual Analytics (LAVA) (SS 20)
Semester: Summer Semester 2020
Lab language: English
Exam language: English
Exam type: Prototype, Presentation, Report
Maximum number of participants: 20
The course will officially start on April 20th, 2020 and will take place fully online. More information will be provided in the Moodle courseroom for the registered students. Registration is still possible until April 16th, 2020 (see the registration section below).
About this course
In the Learning Analytics and Visual Analytics (LAVA) project, you will systematically design and implement interactive visualizations of an educational dataset of your choice, following the Human-Centered Design (HCD) process proposed by Norman (2013) and the What-Why-How visualization analysis framework proposed by Munzner (2014).
You will organize yourselves in groups of 4. In the first few weeks of the lab, we will provide a general overview on HCD and visualization libraries (e.g. D3.js). There will be weekly tasks which include:
- Reading, presenting, and discussing selected chapters from the Visualization Analysis and Design book (Munzner, 2014)
- Project presentations (ideas/concepts, prototypes, end product, demos)
- Writing a project report in form of a scientific article
Grading for this lab will be based on the content and quality of the project presentations and report as well as your performance (project management and collaboration, class participation, creativity) during the project.
- Master Applied Computer Science
- Bachelor Applied Computer Science
- Master ISE CE
- Master Komedia
- Bachelor Komedia
4 places for each study program
Date and location
- Mon, 16:00 – 18:00
- Starts on
April 6, 2020April 20, 2020
- Past participation in our lecture courses Advanced Web Technologies and Learning Analytics is important, but not mandatory
- Interest in data science and/or learning technologies
- High motivation and commitment
We have 4 places for each of the study programs: Master AI, Bachelor AI, Master ISE CE, Master Komedia, Bachelor Komedia (first come first serve). To register, please send an email to Dr. Arham Muslim by
March 30th, 2020 April 16th, 2020 with your matriculation number, study program, and if available your knowledge/experience in Visual Analytics and Learning Technologies. If the maximum number of participants is reached, we will use a waiting list. Komedia Bachelor students should register via the central registration system.
For any questions about the class, please contact Dr. Arham Muslim.
Prof. Dr. Mohamed Chatti (Lecturer)
Dr. Arham Muslim (Teaching Assistant)
- Munzner, T. (2014). Visualization Analysis and Design. AK Peters/CRC Press.
- Ward, M. O., Grinstein, G., & Keim, D. (2010). Interactive Data Visualization: Foundations, Techniques, and Application. AK Peters/CRC Press.
- Ware, C. (2004). Information Visualization: Perception for Design (2nd Edition). Elsevier.
- Norman, D. (2013). The Design of Everyday Things. New York: Basic Books
- Dix, A., Finlay, J. E., Abowd, G. D., and Beale, R. (2004). Human-Computer Interaction (4th Edition). Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
Group name: United
Group members: Yasaman Roshanavandi, Leon Dempsey, Nimesh Ghimire
The goal of this project was to provide condensed information to indecisive students using interactive visualizations. By visualizing the academic data provided by the university, as well as job-related data provided by different websites, this visualization tool could help students to find and compare courses and the respective job market.
Study Program Organization Assistant
Group name: SPOA
Group members: Ilia Nassif, Deniz Glawenda
This tool was developed to help students decide which courses to pick in the upcoming semester. Also, it provides information about the courses and shows how the semester is shaping up. In the end, it gives the student the time table.
Group name: Comma
Group members: Hoda Ghanbarzadeh, Parastoo Amirali
If you have decided to come to Germany, this platform can help you to choose a proper university through visual comparisons. You just need to fill out the information form and click on "Find Uni" to find your desired university on a map. Also, it is possible to compare the Universities with the help of different visual charts.