Admission Requirements

Applications are again possible from May 2021 for the following winter semester 2021/22.

Admission regulations



Admission Regulations

Required for admission is a Bachelor's Degree from a German or foreign institution of higher education. Admission to the 'Urban Culture, Society and Space' Master's Programme requires a B.A. (Bachelor's Degree) in the humanities, social sciences, education sciences, or geography. Admission to the "Sustainable Urban Development" Master's Programme requires a B.S. (Bachelor's Degree) in the natural sciences, engineering or planning sciences. The overall grade of the previous Bachelor's Degree in "Urban Culture, Society and Space" should be at least 2.0 or better. For the Master's Programme "Sustainable Urban Development", a minimum grade in the BA of 2.3 must be demonstrated.

A comparable degree can be accepted if the board of examiners determines that the degree is equivalent*) to a B.A. (cf. Sec. 1 of the programme's respective examination regulations (only available in German), see download area). In any case, good English language skills (level C1 – see also below) are required.

The board of examiners will check all applicants' previous degrees for equivalence. After checking the applications, the board of examiners may make further inquiries and may also determine the equivalence only after making these inquiries.

The applicants will receive a confirmation of equivalence in writing. This confirmation is necessary for the enrollment. Without this document the enrollment in the Master's Programmes is not possible!


*) “The equivalence of university degrees” means that, for example, a Bachelor Degree   from another university or college will be accepted by the University of Duisburg-Essen and that the person is eligible for the Master’s Programmes "Sustainable Urban Development" or "Urban Culture, Society and Space."


Applications can be submitted between May, 15th and July, 15th for admission to the upcoming winter semester (commencing studies in summer semester is not possible).

Foreign students (non-EU citizens) can apply online, only. Please follow this link to start the online application process:

German applicants and applicants from EU member states can apply with the following set of documents:

  1. Cover letter
  2. The completed application for the assessment of the equivalence of university degrees, incl. your personal data (a separately submitted CV will also be accepted).
  3. Certified copy of your university entrance qualification certificate (eg. Abiturzeugnis or A-Level certificate) and your Bachelor's credentials (transcript and diploma). Documents that are not in German or English must be provided with a certified translation (in English or German) in addition to copies of the original documents.

    Important! If you have not yet received your Bachelor's Degree, please apply with a current print (official document) of your ‘Transcript of Records’ by the university at which you are currently enrolled. In any case, your Bachelor's Degree (transcript and diploma) has to be handed in later and is necessary in order to enroll at the University of Duisburg-Essen).

  4. Proof of your English skills according to level C1 of the Common European Framework (CEF) for languages.
    A TOEFL-test (internet based) with a score of 100 points, a UNIcert test of level 3 (III), a Cambridge Certificate in “Advanced English level C or an IELTS test with a band score of 7.5 qualify as sufficient proof. The board of examiners decides if other internationally accepted language certificates can be accepted (cf. sec. 1 of the examination regulations). If you are a native speaker or if you graduated at an English-speaking university, you do not have to provide proof of your language skills.
  5. Foreign students need very good German language skills (certificates about your German Language Skills are necessary) for the Master's Programme "Urban Culture, Society and Space" because most of the courses are offered in German.

    We accept DSH certificates (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) for level 2, TestDaF certificates with a score of 4/4/4/4 or certificates by the Goethe Institute for level C1. If you graduated at a university in a German-speaking country, you do not have to provide proof of language skills. Beyond that, you also have to provide proof of your English skills on a level of C1 for the Master's Programme "Urban Culture, Society and Space" (please refer to point 4).

  6. Chinese citizens have to include the original certificate of the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS) in their application. In order to receive the certificate, you have to present all the other application documents according to points 1-5 to the APS. This certificate is not required for applicants from other countries.

German students and students from EU member states are able to hand in their apllication as a scanned version (soft versions). Please create one file (PDF; a zip.file will be not accepted) for your application and send it via email to

The stamps of the certifications have to be clearly visible and legible. After the admission you have to provide the original documents in order to enroll!

Please send your application until July 15 online (by mail or preferably as a soft version in only one pdf-file) to

Dr. Elke Hochmuth

Universität Duisburg-Essen
Profilschwerpunkt Urbane Systeme

D - 45117 Essen

Office: R12 S01 H08


Tel:  + 49 (0) 201-183-2595

Applications submitted by fax cannot be accepted. Please note that we accept only complete applications.
You will usually receive confirmation of receipt of your application only after the application deadline.

If we have any queries regarding your complete and admissible application, we will conduct Skype interviews with selcted applicants.


In case you meet the admission requirements and once the equivalence of your previous degree has been determined and you have received the certificate stating the equivalence, you can enrol for the Master's Programmes 'Urban Culture, Society, and Space' or 'Sustainable Urban Development' at the University of Duisburg-Essen.

Enrolment takes place during the same period that is specified for all regular study programmes. The most recent enrollment regulations are available at the website of the International Office of the University Duisburg-Essen.

Information and application procedure for students from abroad

Non-EU citizens can apply for the study programme Urban Systems online, only. For further information on the online application process and the requirements for studying at the UDE please visit:
(The online application is not valid for German applicants and applicants from EU member states)