Dr. Astrid Klooth, OStR. i. H.
Dr. Astrid Klooth studied English and French at Trier University (Germany), the Sorbonne (France) and Aston University (England). She also spent one year as a Language Assistant Teacher in France. After her teacher training in Mainz (Germany) and Sleaford (England), she spent several years teaching English and French at a number of different institutions of Secondary and Adult Education: evening schools, (VHS), the German Armed Forces (Bundeswehr), colleges, technical colleges, grammar schools and universities across Germany.
From 1999 to 2007 Dr. Astrid Klooth held a lectureship at Mercator Universität Duisburg with a focus on English for Specific Purposes (ESP). While holding a full-time position (Studienrätin im Hochschuldienst) Dr. Astrid Klooth also persued her academic interest in the field of Applied Linguistics: her PhD Thesis on stereotypes in Advertising was published in 2006.
Since 2008 Dr. Astrid Klooth has focussed her teaching and research interests on Applied Linguistics, EFL Methodology and Cultural Studies.
In 2002 and 2006 Dr. Astrid Klooth further persued her teaching interests on a number of EU grants, doing teacher training programmes in England.
Dr. Astrid Klooth is the Departmental Coordinator for Incoming ERASMUS students. Dr. Klooth´ s ardent interest in Europe and Academia across Europe is reflected in her numerous ERASMUS lectureships at universities in Northern Ireland, Finland, Italy, Spain, Greece and Romania.
In her free time Dr. Astrid Klooth also stays connected with Anglophone cultures and languages: she is vice president of the Deutsch-Britische Gesellschaft Duisburg and an active member of the Duisburg Portsmouth German Friends.
- Lehrkraft für besondere Aufgaben, Anglistik: Angewandte Linguistik und Sprachdidaktik - Teaching English as a Foreign Language & Applied Linguistics
- Lehrkraft für besondere Aufgaben, Anglistik: Sprachpraxis - Language Practice Team
- Advanced Writing Skills / Advanced Writing Course / Writing Skills Gr. 2
- English Language Teaching and Culture Gr. 2
- Comprehensive Language Course II Gr. 3
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language II Gr. 1
- English Language Teaching and Culture Gr. 1
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language II Gr. 2
- Advanced Writing Skills / Advanced Writing Course / Writing Skills Gr. 10
- Teaching Culture
Past lectures (max. 10)
- 2020 WS
- 2020 SS
The following publications are listed in the online university bibliography of the University of Duisburg-Essen. Further information may also be found on the person's personal web pages.
"Auto" - Stereotypen? Deutsche, britische und französische Fahrzeugwerbung im VergleichDuisburg, Essen (2006) IX, 421 S. : Ill.
University of Duisburg-Essen
Speaker on Anglo-German Stereotypes at the Institute of Cultural Diplomacy, Berlin Dec. 2010.