Simulations of Internal Combustion Engines
The development efficient and clean internal combustion engines requires a detailed description and a deep understanding of the flow and the chemical processes. Finite volume methods based on open-source programs are used to simulate these processes. Extensive experimental capabilities provide the basis for the validation of existing and the development of new models and numerical methods.
Mixture fraction in a 4-valve engine, during the intake stroke
Combustion progress in a 4-valve engine, during the power stroke.
Progress variable source term in a 4-valve engine, during the power stroke
LES of the flame front propagation in a SI-engine (grid 0.25 mm) on a cut through the tumble symmetry plane
Velocity contour plot on a cut through the intake valve within the intake stroke
- Janas, P., Large Eddy Simulation of In-Cylinder Phenomena in Spark Ignition Engines, PhD Thesis (2017). LINK
- Nguyen, M. T., Large Eddy Simulation of Internal Combustion Engine with Efficient, Particle-based Moving Immersed Boundaries, PhD Thesis (2017).
- Janas, P., Wlokas, I., Böhm, B., Kempf, A., On the evolution of the flow field in a spark ignition engine, Flow Turbul. Combust. 98:1 (2017) 237-264.
- Nguyen, M. T, Kempf, A., Investigation of Numerical Effects on the Flow and Combustion in LES of ICE, Oil & Gas Science and Technology–Revue d’IFP Energies nouvelles 72:4 (2017), 25.
- Nguyen, M. T., Proch, F., Wlokas, I. and Kempf, A., Large eddy simulation of an internal combustion engine using an efficient immersed boundary technique, Flow Turbul. Combust. 97:1 (2016) 191-230.
- Janas, P., Ribeiro, M. D., Kempf, A., Schild, M., Kaiser, S. A., Penetration of the Flame Into the Top-Land Crevice-Large-Eddy Simulation and Experimental High-Speed Visualization, SAE Technical Paper (2015) 2015-01-1907.
- Nguyen, T., Janas, P., Lucchini, T., D'Errico, G., Kaiser, S., Kempf, A., LES of Flow Processes in an SI Engine Using Two Approaches: OpenFoam and PsiPhi, SAE Technical Paper (2014) 2014-01-1121.