MA MEAS - Prospective Students
- Concept of the MA MEAS Program
- Program Structure
- Application Submission
- Application Procedure
- Required Documents
- Application Procedure for BA MOAS Students/Graduates
The MA program offers Chinese, Japanese or Korean language and a choice of a discipline (sociology, political science or economics). The program combines acquired language skills with interdisciplinary and discipline-specific modules focusing on Chinese, Japanese and Korean studies. Methodological training is integrated into the Advanced East Asian modules.
During the first semester of the one-year (two-semester) MA program, MEAS students deepen their Chinese, Japanese and Korean language skills by focusing on advanced reading of essays and newspaper articles. Additionally, students choose three out of eight Advanced East Asian Studies (AEAS) modules, complemented by one elective module.
During the second and last semester of the MA MEAS, students concentrate on writing their Master’s thesis. The thesis is an independent piece of research about a cutting-edge topic on contemporary East Asia. It is intended to provide evidence of the student’s newly acquired knowledge, theoretical and methodological skills in East Asian regional studies, and language proficiency.
The MA MEAS + 1 program consists of 4 semesters of which the semester 3 and 4 correspond with semester 1 and 2 of the MA MEAS. Semester 1 and 2 of the MA MEAS + 1 offers modules from the different disciplinary areas or regional studies. Since these courses are offered in German only students of the MEAS + 1 program are required to possess advanced German language skills (C1 or above). In semester 2 one module on Advanced East Asian Studies (AEAS) is chosen. Students may also choose to continue their language training.
Further details of the program and all modules and classes can be found in the Examination Regulations and Module Handbook in the Downloads section.
The Letter of Recommendation needs to be issued by a university professor. It is necessary that he or she sends the completed form directly to us, preferably via E-mail.
In addition to the application for admission and the letter of recommendation, the following documents have to be submitted, either in English or German. Diplomas, degrees, transcript of grades, evidence of language proficiency, certificates etc. need to be verified:
- proof of English language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL (university code Duisburg-Essen: 1703), IELTS, CET, etc.
- proof of advanced East Asian language proficiency (Chinese, Japanese or Korean), e.g. HSK, JLPT, TOPIK, etc.
- complete and up-to-date CV showing your professional experience and education and including a color photo
- copy of high school diploma (for Germans: Zeugnis der Hochschulreife)
- copy of BA degree certificate, including a transcript of grades showing an average grade of 2.5 or higher, based on the German grading system, and also include transcript of semesters abroad
- statement of reasons for applying for this program, including your interest in East Asia (1–2 pages)
- research plan outlining the research idea for your MA thesis (2 pages)
- APS Certificate (= Certificate of the ‘Akademische Prüfstelle’), relevant only for graduates from universities in China, Vietnamand Mongolia
- proof of German language proficiency, e.g. TestDaF, DHS or equivalent, relevant only for MEAS + 1 applicants whose mother tongue is not German
We strongly recommend electronic applications. Please send all application documents in one single pdf file, except for the letter of recommendation which should be submitted by the writer. Originals of documents have to be presented at a later stage of the admission process.
For BA MOAS graduates, we have a simplified application procedure.
To apply, please send the following documents by E-mail until or – as recommended –
before Sept. 14:
- current and complete CV with photo
- current Transcript of Records (Notenspiegel)
The required GPA for being accepted to MA MEAS is 2,5. The examination board can decide about exceptions form this rule. In case you have not finished the BA MOAS yet, please include in your application information regarding which exams (Modules / BA thesis) are missing and when you will probably pass them. After receiving the application we will invite you for an interview.
If you have any questions, please contact us: email@example.com