FAQs on studying worldwide

Where can I find an overview of global cooperations?

You’ve decided to do a semester abroad outside of Europe, but where exactly should you go?

UDE has a wide range of cooperation agreements with partner universities worldwide. Many cooperation agreements provide you with the opportunity to study for one or two semesters at a foreign university. Our agreements often also include a (partial) waiver of tuition fees at the partner university.

You can find a list of our global university cooperations sorted by subject and country in our search portal.

How and where do I apply for a study place at a foreign university?

You can find information on existing discipline-specific cooperation agreements in the list of international university cooperations and can take a look at our international partner universities’ websites to find information on subjects and courses. Then you can contact the named cooperation representative and find out more details on the universities and ways to apply.

Please find an overview of contact persons sorted by faculty here.

Which documents do I have to submit?

The documents that you have to submit with your application differ from faculty to faculty. Therefore, please take note of the information on the faculty webpages.  

In general, you can expect to have to submit the following documents with your application:

  • A CV
  • A motivation letter (the reasons why you want to study abroad and why you selected that country/university)
  • Your Transcript of Records (a complete list of your university achievements to date)
  • Proof of language proficiency: proof that shows your language skill level such as a DAAD language certificate, a TOEFL certificate, a certificate from the Institute for Optional Studies (IOS) or your higher education entrance qualification certificate. (At UDE, DAAD language test certificates are issued by the IOS. Please find further information here)
  • A current enrolment certificate

How do I finance a study period abroad?

With UDE’s PROMOS or DUE-Mobil grant programmes, students can receive funding for a stay of between one and six months at a foreign university (countries that participate in Erasmus+ are excluded). Applications for this programme are submitted within UDE and students receive a travel cost allowance of between €125 and €2,000 (depending on the destination) as well as a monthly grant of between €300 and €500 (depending on the destination).
You can find more information and details on the application process on the programme webpage.

You can find information on further financing options here The most common options include:

  • BAföG grants for stays abroad
  • DAAD grants
  • Educational loans & education funds
  • Fulbright grants

My semester abroad at UKM in Malaysia was an incredible experience. Communicating with people of different nationalities and from different cultures is a huge gain both for my private and professional life.

Marco (Embedded Systems Engineering)

Semester abroad at the National University of Malaysia


Fancy for a chat?

Contact & consultation


Essen Campus

Ira Terwyen
Tel.: +49 (0)201 183 2032




​ Campus

Verena Heuking
Tel.: +49 (0)203 379 4493

consultation hours