Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management
Welcome to the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management
What is hydraulic engineering and water resources management?
When we say Hydraulic Engineering we mean all measures we do to use water or to protect us from the risks and danger of water.
When we say Water Resources Management we mean measures that describe usuage of the water by man. Our institute deals with all matters of water management, protection against floods, and the protection and keeping of natural waters.
Head of Department
Prof. Dr.-Ing. André Niemann is head of the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management at the University of Duisburg-Essen since 2010. He studied civil engineering at the University of Hannover and graduated in 1996. In 2000 he did his doctorate in civil engineering at the University of Essen at the Department of Urban Water and Waste Management.
- Urban water management
- hydro morphology and morpho dynamics
- ecological passability
- Supervision of river rehabilitations
- Water quality management
- Water quality modeling and mass flow balancing
- Implementation of the Water Framework Directive
- Socioeconomics of water management concepts
- Flood control and risk management
- Provision of the consequences of the climate change