Development of numerical and experimental methods to determine fluid flow and fluid-structure-interaction
1. Seakeeping and Wave Loads Acting on Offshore Structures
- Loads on ships and offshore structures in seaways
- Simulation of extreme non-linear seaways
- Development of statistical methods to determine extreme loads for the design of ships and ofshore structures
- Roll-damping of ships
- Propeller loads in seaways
> more about "1. Seakeeping and Wave Loads Acting on Offshore Structures"
2. Fluid-structure-interaction (FSI)
- Coupling of CFD solvers with FE-solvers
- Immersion tests with elastic bodies
- Determination of local and global ship loads, taking into account structural deformations
- Direct calculations – statistical and transient – of sea-going vessels to assess fatigue and structural and buckling strength, by means of the Finite-Element-Method (FEM)
- Development of simulation methods for collisions (FEM)
> more about "2. Fluid-structure-interaction (FSI) "
3. Fluid Motions in Partially Filled Tanks (Sloshing)
- Experimental and numerical investigation of the motion behaviour of multi-phase flows
- Determination of local loads in cavities due to fluid motions
- Influence of sloshing on global ship motions
- Standardisation of suitable measurement technology to record velocity fields with Particle-Image Velocity Systems (PIV) and for pressure measurements
> more about "3. Fluid Motions in Partially Filled Tanks (Sloshing)"
4. Manoeuvring of ships
- Manoeuvring behaviour of ships in restricted and deep waters
- Manoeuvring behaviour of ships in Waves
- Dynamic positioning of ships
- Design of manoeuvring devices
> more about "4. Manoeuvring of ships"
5. Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Cavitation and Cavitation Erosion
- Numerical and experimental investigation of cavitation at hydrofoils
- Erosion due to cavitation
6. Resistance and Propulsion of Ships
- Power requirement of ships in calm water and in seaways
- Ship design optimization
- Measurements to improve the propulsion efficiency
- Hydrodynamics of propulsors
> more about "6. Resistance and Propulsion of Ships"
7. Marine power plants
- Concepts for the use of alternative fuels for ship propulsion (e.g. LNG)
- Alternative propulsion concepts for sea and inland vessels
- Gas propogation
- Engine Dynamics
> more about "7. Marine power plants"