All students wishing to study English are required to take an Assessment Test on our campus in Essen (PC-Raum A009 - Altendorfer Str. 9, entrance no. 3, first floor). There are no exceptions. It is not an entrance exam, but BA Lehramt students are required to score at least 50 % in the test in order to be allowed to take the Comprehensive Language Course I exam.
- BA students: The test aims to give you information about the level of your English at the beginning of your studies.
- BA Lehramt students: The test aims to give you information about your proficiency in the English language and to place you in suitable learning groups. It is also a requirement for the Comprehensive Language Course I exam.
- KUWI students: The test aims to give you information about the level of your English at the beginning of your studies.
- Foreign students: The test aims to determine how proficient you are in English so that you can be placed in suitable language classes.
The next set of Assessment Tests will take place on the following dates:
>>Please see News & Deadlines for updates.<<
Online registration will begin at the earliest two weeks before each test. In order to register successfully, it is important to use your university e-mail address. This is because you will receive an e-mail with an identification number and password. Your password and confirmation will most likely not arrive if you use any other address than your university e-mail address.
Please print your confirmation out and bring it with you to the test. Do not save it on your mobile phones. If you do not hear from us after registration, it is possible that there is a mistake in your e-mail address or the e-mail is in your spam folder. Do not register/try to register more than once.
Each student may take the assessment test only once per semester.
The Assessment Test is in 2 parts (60 minutes)
It is important that you study the examples below. They are similar to the type of exercise you will be asked to do in the Assessment Test.
1. C-Test (Reading comprehension)
In the following text parts of some of the words are missing. Your job is to replace the missing parts.
There are usually five men in the crew of a fire engine. One ofthem drivesthe engine. The leader sits beside the driver. The ot___ firemen s___ inside t___ cab o___ the fi___ engine.
§ GRA multiple choice/short answer items
Write the correct form of the verb in brackets.
In 1066 William of Normandy (invade) England.
The right answer is invaded.
§ VOC multiple choice/short answer items
Find out a word that means more or less the same as the word or phrase underlined.
Newton found out the Law of Gravity. d...
The right answer is discovered.