Information for Doctoral Students
Graduate Center Plus (GC Plus) supports the faculties of the UDE in optimally promoting early career researchers. GC Plus pools information and interdisciplinary offers for
- advanced Master's students,
- doctoral and postdoctoral researchers
and provides ongoing information on events and calls.
On the GC Plus website you will find information on topics such as:
- Stages and financing of the doctorate
- Announcements and scholarships
- Qualification and consulting services of GC Plus and other UDE facilities
- Information and advice on career paths inside academia and beyond
- Structured doctoral programs at the UDE
- PhD networks at the UDE
- Contact persons for doctoral researchers in the faculties
Information on subject-specific offers can be found on the faculties’ websites.
GC Plus cooperates with RUB Research School and Graduate Center TU Dortmund University within the framework of Research Academy Ruhr (RAR) as a comprehensive platform for promoting early career researchers within University Alliance Ruhr (UA Ruhr).
Please note: Doctoral applicants are responsible for finding their own academic supervisor and proposing a research topic. Here you will find information about the main research areas and the faculties of the UDE. If your suggested topic is accepted, your supervisor will send the letter of acceptance and your certificates to the International Office. If you are not writing your thesis in German, you also need a written confirmation from the doctoral board of the relevant department as to which language the thesis is to be written in.
The doctoral regulations regulate the doctoral procedure in the faculties.
- Family Service Office https://www.uni-due.de/familienservice/
- Equal Opportunities Office https://www.uni-due.de/gleichstellung/
- Information on doctoral studies with disability/chronic illness https://www.uni-due.de/inklusionsportal/promotion.shtml
- University didactics program: https://www.uni-due.de/zhqe/hochschuldid_zertifikatsprg.php
- Patent consulting (Science Support Centre) https://www.uni-due.de/ssc/patente/index.php
- GUIDE – Centre for Startups and Innopreneurship of the UDE https://www.uni-due.de/guide/
General Information for Incomings
Welcome at the UDE! For a first orientation and further information we recommend the following links:
- International Office: https://www.uni-due.de/international/index_en.shtml
- Welcome Service for international researchers: https://www.uni-due.de/welcome-service/en/index.php
Visiting scholarsHelpful Information for Postdoctoral Researchers
We at the University of Duisburg-Essen look forward to welcoming you! Our university is known for its international orientation, its open approach and the support of global knowledge exchange - we are pleased that you will join our community and hope that you will feel at home during your stay.
Prior to any period spent abroad it's natural that you will have many professional, financial and organisational questions about your visit. To help you prepare and to give you a reference during your stay in Germany, we have compiled a handbook filled with information on visas, insurance and even activities in the region. Although probably not everything in this handbook is personally relevant to you, we hope you can look at it like a big phone book: You may never need all of it, but it's nice to have it just in case.
What should you do if you have more questions? We recommend that you first contact the institute responsible for your stay and your colleagues there, as they can provide first-hand experience and advice. In addition, you can take a look at this link list for researchers that UDE’s administration provides online (in German). And if you have any questions that you cannot answer, please do not hesitate to contact the Welcome Service of the International Office!