Information for Doctoral Students
Doing your doctorate Information for Ph.D. Students
We are pleased that you are interested in studying for your doctorate at the UDE.
Doctoral applicants are responsible for finding their own academic supervisor and proposing a scientific topic. If your suggested topic is accepted, your supervisor will send the letter of acceptance and your certificates to the International Office:
- You can find further information about research at UDE here:
- If you are not writing your dissertation in German, you also need written confirmation from the doctoral board of the relevant department as to which language the dissertation is to be written in.
- You will find the main research topics of the faculties here:
- An overview of the Research Training Groups is available here:
- An overview of the Research Training Groups is available here.
Visiting Scholars Information for Post Docs
We at the University of Duisburg-Essen are happy to welcome you! Our university is known for its international outlook, open approach, and support of global knowledge exchange - we are excited that you will be joining our community and hope to help you feel at home during your stay.
Prior to any period spent abroad it's natural that you will have many professional, financial and organisational questions about your visit. To help you prepare and to give you a reference while staying in Germany we have put together a handbook for you, filled with information about things like visas, insurance, and even things to do in the area. Although probably not everything in this handbook is personally relevant for you we hope you can think of it like you think of a large telephone book: You may never need all of it but it's nice to have it just in case.
What should you do if you have other questions? We would recommend you first check with the institute supervising your stay and colleagues there since they can provide first-hand experience and advice. And, for questions that they are unable to answer, please feel free to contact us at the Welcome Service of International Office!