Coronavirus: Measures and central information
The lecture period of the summer semester is drawing to a close. The majority of the rescheduled examinations from the past winter semester have been conducted and the examination period for this summer semester is about to start. Attention is also turning to preparations for the upcoming winter semester.
In a letter to all university members, the Rectorate would like to thank them for their achievements and work over the past few months and gives an outlook on the semester ahead.
Please visit our FAQs section to find answers and information for international degree seeking students, incoming and outgoing exchange students and guest researchers. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
1.7.2020: Regulation on mobile working extended
According to the decision of the rectorate, the regulations on mobile working from home will apply until October 31 2020.
1.7.2020: Taking responsibility for one another: Updated internal action plan
UDE`s Corona action plan has been updated. The new guideline contains major changes, particularly with regard to employment law. The handling of protective measures, in particular carrying a face mask, has also been concretised.
25.6.2020: Instructions from the occupational safety department on the effect of ventilation systems and recirculating air cooling units ("air conditioning systems")
- First of all, a distinction must actually be made between ventilation and recirculating air cooling units, since colloquially, both are often referred to as air conditioning systems.
- A ventilation system has separately guided supply and exhaust air. This is rather positive, as there is a permanent exchange of air. This is usually the case in ventilated lecture halls and seminar rooms. The same applies to large ventilated areas such as laboratories and libraries (including office areas connected to the ventilation system).
- Recirculating air cooling units lead to a mixing of the room air; there is no exchange. Recirculating air cooling units therefore do not replace ventilation! (At no time!) These units are usually used in individual rooms that otherwise heat up considerably, e.g. server rooms.
- If it is unclear which type of system is installed in a room, the supply engineering department of the technical building management can help (for Essen please contact Mr. Oliver Hoffmann, for Duisburg Mr. Reinhold Krebber).
25.6.2020: Ban on business trips eased
The University board has decided to further relax the general ban on business trips.
With immediate effect, mandatory business trips to the member states of the European Union, to Schengen associated states (Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein) and to the United Kingdom may be resumed. In doing so, the applicant must clearly explain the mandatory requirement of the business trip in the application.
The applicable distance and hygiene measures must still be observed.
This means that superiors may now issue permits for business trips to the above-mentioned countries. The decision on whether a business trip is necessary is decentralized and should be documented. A strict standard must also be applied to the decision regarding the necessity in terms of time (why is it mandatory now?).
It is expressly pointed out that in international air and travel, entry restrictions, quarantine measures and restrictions on public life are still to be expected in many countries. It is therefore imperative that the applicable travel and safety instructions of the Federal Foreign Office (https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit/covid-19/2296762) be observed when approving the travel permit and again directly before the start of the business trip.
In addition, travel services should only be booked shortly before departure and, if possible, with flexible conditions in case travel warnings and entry bans are issued again.
General business trip permits for the above-mentioned countries issued before the business trip ban are again valid under the above-mentioned regulations.
27.5.2020: Homeoffice / Time recording / Future of work at UDE
Measures in place
Access to university buildings
All UDE buildings will remain closed until further notice. You can gain access to all buildings using an access medium. For any access requests, please contact the porter’s lodge when in Essen. In Duisburg, the property caretakers and the security service will take care of your access requests.
- 1.7.2020: Modified operational measures concept: protective measures and workplace design for working during the SARS-CoV2 epidemic
Information | Download German (PDF) | Download English (PDF)
- 5.6.2020: Guidelines on conducting oral examinations via online video conferencing systems
- 3.6.2020: Action plan for conducting face-to-face examinations (PDF)
- 3.6.2020: Information sheet for students on the procedure for face-to-face examinations (PDF)
- 14.5.2020: Regulations for the implementation of the Corona Epidemic University Ordinance (CEHVO)
Information | Download (PDF)
- 15.5.2020: Information / Regulations on the cancelled examinations of the winter semester 2019/20 and the examinations of the current semester (PDF/German)
Answers to your questions
Diversity, inclusion, family-friendliness, equal opportunity (DIVG)
COVID-19 has radically changed everyday life and created a need for talks. UDE’s DIVG forum provides guidance, perspective and a space for exchange to university members. The forum is intended to encourage collaboration and discussions on the actual impact the current situation has on individuals and their lives.Learn more (only in German)
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library and the Library in the LK building are now open with restrictions in place. Opening hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Learning places are allocated via an online booking system.
The Diversity Day (scheduled for 26 May 2020) and the Dies academicus (scheduled for 5 June 2020) will not take place in their usual form. We are sorry to inform you that the UDE Summer Festival (scheduled for June 23, 2020) and all University Orchestra concerts have been cancelled.
The mail service is open as usual.
The shuttle bus service between the campuses is suspended until further notice.