Incoming Students

Incoming Students Foreign applicants

A stay abroad broadens one's horizons and is an experience that is not only personally enriching. Stays abroad and also knowledge of German are welcomed in the working world and open up new professional opportunities.

Which requirements have to be met for studying at University of Duisburg-Essen, which deadlines and dates apply, which support programs and scholarships are available as well as information on financing the studies - these and many other questions concerning a study stay have to be clarified before you can start.

The University of Duisburg-Essen offers several study opportunities for foreign students. Both short stays for one or two semesters within the framework of an exchange program, but also entire study cycles in the Bachelor or Master or even subsequent doctorates can be pursued.
The UDE also offers various opportunities for refugees.

Study at UDE

Preparation and Training International Programmes

The University of Duisburg-Essen offers, in addition to a variety of German degree programs, bilingual and English-language programs:

Foreign students also have the opportunity to improve their language skills and participate in summer courses and excursions:

Likewise, foreign students can network with domestic students to get to know the language and culture better:

Exchange Programme

You would like to study at the University of Duisburg-Essen as an exchange student or program student (for example, through ERASMUS, DAAD) and not earn a degree.

Exchange Students

Study with Degree

Foreign students can apply for an entire course of study at the University of Duisburg-Essen if they are pursuing an academic degree in Germany.



If you have already achieved a Bachelor's and Master's degree and have a topic and a doctoral supervisor, you can apply for a doctoral program at UDE.

Doctoral Studies


The University of Duisburg-Essen also offers people who have fled various opportunities for teaching, research, further education, post-qualification and sports activities.

Offers for Refugees

Living Accomodation

If you decide to study at the UDE, you can rent your own apartment or a shared room. The Studierendenwerk of the University of Duisburg-Essen also rents furnished rooms in shared apartments to program students.

The dormitories are characterized by the fact that they are affordable, close to campus and it is easy to socialize with other residents. There are a total of five residence halls in the cities of Essen, Duisburg and Mühlheim.

As an international student, you can apply for a furnished room in one of the dormitories on the website of the Studierendenwerk as soon as you have been accepted at the UDE.

Student Residence

Social & Student Union Fee Costs & Fees

There are no tuition fees at the University of Duisburg-Essen, however, all students (including all exchange students) are subject to a social and student body contribution. This must be paid each semester. After your arrival, you will receive detailed information about the payment process.

Please note that the social and student body contribution is not a tuition fee or a registration fee. The amount is composed as follows:

  • Mobility fee (VRR-Semester ticket and NRW-Ticket for public transport)
  • Social contribution for the Studierendenwerk
  • Student body contribution (AStA)
Basic Information

If questions remain International Office

The International Office is the central service facility of the University of Duisburg-Essen for international contacts and provides advice at the Duisburg and Essen campuses.

Campus Essen

Universitätsstr. 15, Gebäude V15
45117 Essen
Tel.: +49 201 183 4128

Campus Duisburg

Geibelstraße 41, SG-Gebäude
47057 Duisburg
Tel.: +49 203 379 4433

International Office

Academic Calendar:

Winter Semester: 1. October - 31. March
Summer Semester: 1. April - 30. September

Application Deadline:

Winter Semester: 1. June
Summer Semester: 1. December