After admission - applicants from non-EU countries

Important Information

Here you can find information on our office hours.‚ÄčIconfinder 101 Warning 183416 _1_

Enrollment information can be found here

Please also check our Coronavirus FAQs and latest information on Coronavirus Regulations.

Apply for a visa

With your letter of admission you can go to the German Embassy in your country to apply for a visa for study purposes or for a German course. In many cases the Embassy/Consulate will require confirmation of reservation from a course provider in Germany when you make your application for a visa to take a German course.

Important: please do not enter the country on a tourist visa. This type of visa expires after three months and cannot be extended or changed to a student visa.


Visa Regulations


German Federal Foreign Office

Costs and Finance

Costs of Studying and Living

There are no tuition fees at University of Duisburg-Essen - this applies for international students as well. All students are, however, subject to a student body and social contribution fee per semester.

Information on living expenses in Germany can be found on the DAAD website.

External Scholarships

Some scholarship applications can often only be made in the student's home country. If you are already studying it Germany, it will usually be too late to make an application. Applications for funding should be made in the student's home country.

Scholarships of the University Duisburg-Essen

  • Individual scholarships awarded by the State of North Rhine-Westphalia for gifted students from emerging and developing countries (see News)
  • Graduation grants from the International Office (applications 1x per year in spring, see News)
  • Duisburg-Essen University Foundation (Duisburg-Essener Universitätsstiftung)
  • UDE Scholarships

Prize for final thesis

In individual cases of social hardship, the Protestant Student Community (Evangelische Studentengemeinde, ESG), Catholic Student Community (Katholische Studentengemeinde, KOM) and the social advisory service (Sozialberatung) of the Studentenwerk may be able to provide assistance:

Protestant Student Community ESG - Duisburg ESG Essen

Catholic Student Community


KOM - CampusSegen
Social advisory service of the Studentenwerk

Sozialberatung Duisburg-Essen


Social advisory service of the
General Students' Committee (AStA)

AStA Duisburg AStA Essen

You are also welcome to come to the office hours of the International Office for an initial interview. You can get an appointment here. The enrollment key is SoSe2021.

Working during your studies?

If you want to work during you studies you will have to pay attention to several regulations. Please find further information on the DAAD website.

Health Insurance

 It is compulsory for all students in Germany to have health insurance. It is not possible to enrol as a student without proof of valid health insurance. Germany has both statutory and private health insurance schemes.

I have an admission for a(n)...

Academic course

Statutory health insurance

Most students are members of a statutory health insurance scheme. The contributions are set by law and therefore the same for all German health insurance providers. Students are issued a chip card from the health insurance and are not charged for medical, dental or hospital treatment.

Important information

If you are only able to enter the country at a later date: after entering Germany, you can contact your German statutory health insurance provider and request the reimbursement of health insurance contributions. Your statutory health insurance provider will make a decision on the outcome of your request.

Language Course

Private health insurance

The price-performance ratio offered by the different private health insurers may vary. Members of a private health insurance scheme initially pay for all their medical treatment themselves. They are then reimbursed later by the health insurance when they submit the invoices.

Important Information

  • Students may choose between private and statutory health insurance up to the age of 30 and up to the end of the 14th semester of their degree programme. If students choose to take out private insurance they need a certificate indicating that they are exempted from compulsory health insurance for enrolment. This certificate is available from your health insurer’s branch offices. It is valid for the entire length of study and is irreversible. This means that students cannot switch to statutory health insurance for the full duration of their studies.
  • Students taking a German course are not subject to the compulsory health insurance requirement under the German Social Code (SGB) and must therefore take out private health insurance.


Admission to higher education does not automatically come with an offer of a place in a student residence as is common in other countries. This means that you are responsible for organising your own accommodation.

There are different ways of finding a room or an apartment:

Student residences

The University of Duisburg-Essen does not offer places in student accommodation itself. The Studierendenwerk is the student services provider responsible for the student residences. You can apply to the Studierendenwerk for a place in a student residence even if you have not yet received a letter of acceptance/admission from the University of Duisburg-Essen. The earlier you apply to the Studierendenwerk, the better. Online application for accommodation.



Reckhammerweg 1
Student Residence Administration
45141 Essen

Office hours


Informationen on the student residences


Private housing market

You can of course search on the private housing market for a furnished apartment/room or a place in shared accommodation (Wohngemeinschaft or “WG”).

Useful links for your housing search:

Important terms when you are looking for an apartment or room:


Important Information

Please note the following steps for enrolment:

E-mail to:
E-mail subject line:
 Your application number and/or student ID number

Necessary information:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Nationality
  • Address in Germany
  • Intended degree, former studies if applicable


  • Letter of admission
  • Passport photo (JPG)
  • Passport copy
  • Highest school leaving certificate or bachelor's degree certificate
  • Language certificates (German, English if applicable)
  • For language course enrolment only: confirmation of registration /participation in a German language course
  • Health insurance certificate: --A photo of the health card is not sufficient proof!--

    For language course enrolment = private health insurance 
    For degree course enrolment = statutory health insurance

If you are only able to enter the country at a later date: 
After entering Germany, you can contact your German statutory health insurance provider
and request the reimbursement of health insurance contributions.
Your statutory health insurance provider will make a decision on the outcome of your request.
Please note that you can only be enrolled as soon as we have received
your complete e-mail (providing all information and attachments as
mentioned above)!



Enrolment for German language course students:
Possible throughout the year

Enrolment in a non-restricted Bachelor’s degree programme:
Winter semester: 07.06.2021 to 31.10.2021

Enrolment in a non-restricted Master’s degree programme:
Winter semester: 07.06.2021 to 28.01.2022

Enrolment in a restricted Bachelor's / Master’s degree programme:
Please see your letter of admission for the exact date.

Enrolment in an ISE Bachelor’s degree programme:
Winter semester: 15.09. to 31.10.

Enrolment in a PhD programme:
Possible throughout the year - Information for prospective Ph.D. candidates


Semester Fee

All students are required to pay the semester fee. It is not a tuition fee and must be paid by every student per semester, irrespective of when they enrol. Once you have enrolled, we will send you a bank transfer form so that you can pay your semester fee at your bank in Germany.

Further information about the Semester Fee


Semester Ticket 

After enrolment, and once the semester fee has been received by the university (please allow 3 working days) you can use the Semester Ticket (VRR and NRW-ticket) by downloading the Campus-App myUDE (

Further information about the „Semester Ticket

Student Identity Card

All students are issued a student identity card, which can be collected from the Front Office after enrolment. The student identity card doubles as your library card and Mensa card with payment chip. You can use the identity card at the self-service stations (to print student certificates, make changes to your address, print bank transfer slips).

The card is the property of the University of Duisburg-Essen. As a student identity card it is personal to you and cannot be used by anybody else. It becomes void when you are de-registered from the University and must be returned to the registrar’s office or the International Office.

If your card is lost or damaged, you can apply for a new one only at the registrar’s office during the opening hours.

Further information about the „Student Identity Card


User ID (“Unikennung”)

All students newly enrolled at the University of Duisburg-Essen are issued a personal user identification and password after enrolment. The user ID allows you to use the University’s IT services, for example for access to the internet (WLAN, PC workstations, LSF electronic lecture schedule, exam registration). Please contact the E-Point if you have any questions about your user identification and the IT services, or if you have forgotten your password.

Further information about the „User ID (“Unikennung”)

Student Certificate

After enrolment, and once the semester fee has been received by the university, you can use your “Unikennung” user ID to print copies of the student certificate at the SB stations or in the LSF.

You might need a student certificate to present to authorities, for example health insurance providers, banks or the Studentenwerk.

Further information about the „Student Certificate



International Office

Campus Essen

Universitätsstr. 15
45117 Essen

Campus Duisburg

Geibelstraße 41
47057 Duisburg

Consultation via ZOOM

Admission Office
Meeting-ID: 679 8359 2697
Password: 224435

Mondays: 1–3 p.m.
Tuesdays to Fridays: 9–12 a.m.


For queries please contact the person in charge at the International Office.

Consultation for international students

Online consultation for questions about financing your studies, immigration authorities, etc.

Please make an appointment via Moodle. The enrollment key is SoSe2021.