Information for PhD Students
Information for prospective Ph.D. candidates
We are pleased that you are interested in doctoral studies at the UDE.
Prospective Ph.D. candidates must identify a supervisor and propose a scientific topic on their own initiative (you can find an overview of the faculties here). If your proposal is accepted, you must first have the equivalence of your degrees checked. To do so, your hosting institute has to send the following documents by e-mail to email@example.com:
- Letter of academic supervision from the faculty supervisor at UDE
- Copy of the bachelor degree certificate and the corresponding transcript, including German or English translation
- Copy of the master degree certificate and the corresponding transcript, including German or English translation.
You can submit your application at any time (except graduate schools).
When your diplomas have been checked for equivalence you will receive an "Äquivalenzbescheinigung" and you can enrol as a PhD student.
Please note that you must also register as a Ph.D. This is determined by the provisions of the Higher Education Act (§ 67, paras. 4 and 5) and the Enrolment Regulations (§ 2 para. 4).
Ph.D. candidates who enrol at UDE receive a student ID which can be used as a library card, a canteen card, a copying card and a bus ticket for the shuttle bus between campuses. With the “Semesterticket” they also receive a public transport ticket.
Enrolment as a Ph.D.
- Letter of Invitation from your department at UDE
- Enrolment application form
- "Äquivalenzbescheinigung" from the International Office (This document is requested by your supervising professor)
- PhD Board confirmation of admission (if already available)
- Original certificates and German or English translations
- Proof of health insurance cover
- In case of private health insurance: Proof from a statutory health insurance company that no statutory insurance is possible.
- Passport photo
Enrolment as a visiting Ph.D.
Only enrol as a visiting Ph.D. if you do not want to graduate in Germany.
- Letter of Invitation from your department or faculty
- Proof from a statutory health insurance provider that you are not liable to insurance deductions
- Passport photo
Campus Essen / Campus Duisburg:
Mrs. Eugenia Dahl
Room: V15 S00 D27
At the moment, enrolment as a Ph.D. and guest Ph.D. is only possible by e-mail. To do so, please send an e-mail with the necessary documents to Mrs Eugenia Dahl.
Tip: Graduate Center Plus
The Graduate Center Plus (GC Plus) is a cross-disciplinary service institution and provides information on all aspects of the PhD and postdoc phase. Here you will find information on the wide range of support and qualification opportunities for young researchers at the University of Duisburg-Essen. The GC Plus also offers individual counselling and a varied program of workshops, information and career events for doctoral students and postdocs.
Further information can be found here.
If you are interested in a doctorate at the UDE, you can find information on the promotion process here.