(Symbolbild) Ein Taschenrechner auf einem kleinen Haufen Geld in Münzen und Scheinen.
CC0 Creative Commons

Opening a Bank Account

If you are staying in Germany for an extended period, are receiving a regular salary or fellowship and have to pay rent, it is a good idea to open a current account at a German bank. You can do so at the branch of any bank or "Sparkasse".

Money transfers abroad can be expensive. You should enquire at your own bank at home in advance about the relevant conditions and possibly choose a German bank that cooperates with your bank at home. Apart from cash, most shops, restaurants and firms accept debit and in some cases, credit cards.

Required documents

  • Passport
  • Confirmation of the "Einwohnermeldeamt" (Residents' Registration Office or Immigration Office) that you are registered


When you complete your stay in Duisburg or Essen, do not immediately close your account. Many transactions (return of deposits on your flat or room, refunds of income tax or social security, etc.) can only be taken care of when you still have a current German bank account.

Tip: Cash

In Germany it is not common to pay little amounts by credit card. Many shops do not accept credit cards. Apart from cash, most shops, restaurants and firms accept debit (not credit card). Cash is - especially for smaller sums - always useful.

Banks close to campuses

We provide an overview of the bank branches close to University in Essen and Duisburg:

Branches close to University