Head of the Department Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Detlev Leutner
Department of Instructional Psychology
Faculty of Educational Sciences
University of Duisburg-Essen
Tel. +49 (0)201-183-2154
Fax +49 (0)201-183-4350
Room Nr: S06 S03 A18
- Research on learning and instruction, including self-regulated learning, learning with multimedia, cognitive load, higher education, teacher training, problem solving
- Research methods and competence assessment
Main Teaching Areas
- Instructional psychology
- Empirical research methods
Selected Academic Services
- Member, DFG Senat (2009-2015)
- Founding Director, Center for Empirical Educational Research, Duisburg-Essen University (2008-2012)
- Speaker, DFG Priority Program 1293 "Models of Competencies" (2007- 2014; together with E. Klieme)
- Member, Executive Board of the "Institute for Educational Progress" (IQB, Berlin, 2004+)
- Member, PISA 2012 Problem Solving Expert Group and German PISA 2003 Consortium
- Member, project team "Hochrisikophase" (since 2014), project team „Preparation of Learner Drivers“ (2010-2012), project team „Accompanied Driving“ (2002-2004), Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen (BASt)
Research Grants & Funded Projects
- DFG Research Unit “Academic learning and study success in the entry phase of science and technology study programs (ALSTER)”
- DFG Research Group & Graduate School „nwu-essen"
- BMBF Project „Broad Pedagogical Knowledge and the Acquisition of Professional Competence in Teacher Candidates
- "Mercator Project "Ganz In - All Day-Schools for a Brighter Future. The New All-Day Secondary School in NRW"
10 Selected Publications
- Leutner, D., Fleischer, J., Grünkorn, J. & Klieme, E. (Eds.). (2017). Competence assessment in education – research, models, and instruments. New York: Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-50030-0.
- Leutner, D. (2014). Motivation and emotion as mediators in multimedia learning. Learning and Instruction, 29, 174-175. DOI 10.1016/j.learninstruc.2013.05.004.
- Dicke, T., Parker, P.D., Marsh, H.W., Kunter, M., Schmeck, A., & Leutner, D. (2014). Self-efficacy in classroom management, classroom disturbances, and burnout: A latent moderated mediation analysis. Journal of Educational Psychology, 106, 569-583. DOI: 10.1037/a0035504.
- Klauer, K.J. & Leutner, D. (2012). Lehren und Lernen. Einführung in die Instruktionspsychologie [Teaching and learning. Introduction into instructional psychology] (2., überarb. Aufl). Weinheim: Beltz-PVU.
- Schwamborn, A., Mayer, R. E., Thillmann, H., Leopold, C., & Leutner, D. (2010). Drawing as a generative activity and drawing as a prognostic activity. Journal of Educational Psychology, 104, 872-879. DOI: 10.1037/a0019640.
- Leutner, D., Leopold, C. & Sumfleth, E. (2009). Cognitive load and science text comprehension: Effects of drawing and mentally imagining text content. Computers in Human Behavior, 25, 284-289. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2008.12.010.
- Wirth, J. & Leutner, D. (2008). Self-regulated learning as a competence. Implications of theoretical models for assessment methods. Zeitschrift für Psychologie/ Journal of Psychology, 216, 102-110. DOI 10.1027/0044-3409.216.2.102.
- Höffler, T.N. & Leutner, D. (2007). Instructional animations versus static pictures: a metaanalysis. Learning & Instruction, 17, 722-238. doi:10.1016/j.learninstruc.2007.09.013.
- Brünken, R., Plass, J.L. & Leutner, D. (2003). Direct measurement of cognitive load in multimedia learning. Educational Psychologist, 38, 53-61.
- Plass, J.L., Chun, D., Mayer, R.E. & Leutner, D. (1998). Supporting visualizer and verbalizer learning preferences in a second language multimedia learning environment. Journal of Educational Psychology, 90, 25-36.
„Award for the promotion of the multidisciplinarity educational research“, by Society for Empirical Educational Research (GEBF) (together with Elke Sumfleth and Hans E. Fischer)
Dr. h.c. award by Freiburg University of Education
- 2008 - 2012
Director of the Duisburg-Essen University Center for Empirical Educational Research
- since 2002
Full Professor for Instructional Psychology,
- 1993 - 2002
Full Professor for Instructional Psychology, Erfurt University
"Habilitation" & venia legendi for Psychology, Aachen University of Technology
- 1990 - 1993
Associate Professor for Psychological Research Methods, Giessen University
- 1981 - 1990
Assistant Professor for Educational Psychology, Lecturer, and Research Assistant, Dept. of Education, Aachen University of Technology
Ph.D. in Education, Psychology & Philosophy, Aachen University of Technology
Degree in Psychology (Diploma), Aachen University of Technology