Configuration of eduroam for Android devices
Configuration of eduroam
This guide will aid you to install and configure eduroam for Android 4.2 and older devives.
If your device OS is newer than Android 4.3 use the eduroam configuration assistant tool (CAT), which automates the configuration for you:
Choose University of Duisburg-Essen as home organization and download the eduroam configuration assistant tool (CAT) for your device. The tool will ask your ID and your password or (if already set in the selfcare portal) your wifi Password.
Please note that this guide might not be accurate for your device since different versions of android or mobile manufacturers might rename or move certain menus.
First you have to import the Telekom root certificate.
IMPORTANT: If your Android Version is 7 or +, skip this step and use "system certificates" and "radius1.uni-duisburg-essen.de" as domain.
Point your mobile browser to(important use the Android stock browser) :
Your phone will ask for name and purpose of the certificate. Name the certificate Telekom and select WIFI.
If the import of the certificate fails please try to delete the PIN of the lockscreen and set a new PIN. This will avoid an Android certificate store error. Without a configured certificate the connection will be completely unsecure!
To configure eduroam go to the menu Settings - > WiFi -> WiFi-Settings.
Click on eduroam and chose to configure the connection or network.
Note that if you have tried to connect to eduroam before you might need to forget your previous configuration before continuing. To do this tap-and-hold on eduroam and click on forget.
Click on Eduroam and then on Connect, that should bring up the configuration menu.
- Set the EAP-Method to TTLS
- Set the Phase 2 option to MSCHAPv2
- Select Telekom as server certificate (Or in case of Android 7 or newer "system certificates"
- If there is an item for domain use "radius1.uni-duisburg-essen.de"
- Set your Identity to your account username followed by @uni-due.de (e.g. email@example.com)
- (Do not use any blank characters in identity)
- Type in your account Password or (if already set in the user portal) your wifi Password
- Set your Anonymous identity to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finally click Connect