Doctoral research | Funding
Financial support and stays abroad
Research projects, participation in a conference, or a research stay abroad require financial resources as well as time and commitment. In addition to financial support, scholarships and funding programmes often offer additional idealistic support, and are at the same time a recognition of your outstanding achievements.
In the following, we have compiled information on funding programmes for doctoral researchers and provide links to common databases for more in-depth research.
Funding programmes at a glance
Do you have questions about your application? Are you unsure which funding program is right for you?
Make an appointment with Simon Kresmann.
The so-called "Feuerwehrtopf" provides financial aid for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers with children who need short-term childcare due to a sudden emergency situation.
Faculty/departmental support and funding
The faculties of the UDE support and promote their doctoral candidates, for example, through subject-specific awards, prizes, or mentoring programs. Information on this can usually be found on the websites of your faculty or department.
Sources for your own search
Grant databases are an important research tool when looking for a suitable grant for your project.
Links to relevant databases
Information on EU research programmes and grants
- DAAD: Fördermöglichkeiten für Forschung im Ausland
Database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) on funding opportunities for research abroad.
- DAAD: Stipendien für Forschung von Ausländer*innen in Deutschland
Database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) on scholarships for researchers from abroad.
- EURAXESS Funding Search
EURAXESS includes databases of job opportunities and funding opportunities for researchers, as well as information and resources on career development.
Free search for US scholarship providers.
Herbert Worch Foundation database of awards and funding for research in Medicine and the Natural Sciences.
- Förderdatenbank des Bundes
Up-to-date overview of federal, state, and European Union funding programmes.
Database of current DFG-funded research projects.
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
Database on funding programmes offered by the EU.
This scholarship database enables, among other things, a targeted search for doctoral scholarships.
Research in Germany
The Research in Germany portal offers a comprehensive overview of funding opportunities in Germany and a brochure with selected funding programmes of the most relevant research funding institutions for German and international researchers.
Research stays abroad
Do you want to spend a certain period of time in a foreign country during your doctorate? A stay abroad is an enriching experience. It opens many new contacts and gives insight into academic research in another country. Here you will find links to selected funding programmes and contacts at the UDE:
- PROMOS & DUE-Mobil scholarships (Study-related stays abroad by students and doctoral candidates lasting up to six months)
- ERASMUS+ Personalmobilität for short stays (2–60 days) at European partner universities, e.g. participation in workshops or language courses
- ERASMUS+ Gastdozentur at European partner universities (duration 2–60 days)
- Info event: International week of the Internationl Office
- Info event: International Researchers Days of the Welcome Service
- Announcements and events within the Aurora universities network