Open Access Funding 2020
You publish - we support you!
In accordance with the DFG guidelines, the UL provides an OA publication fund in addition to the regular literature budget.The aim is to support authors by assuming publication fees (e.g. Article Processing Charges: APCs) in Open Access publications (journals, monographs and compilations).
Funding of articles
We can fully fund your publication if the following criteria are met:
- A member of the University Duisburg-Essen is the submitting author or the corresponding author of an article and, therefore, responsible for the payment of its publication fees.
- The article has got to be published in a journal whose contents are instantly available online and free of charge once they are published ("genuine Open Access Journals" that are listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals) and that applies acknowledged methods of quality assurance.
- Publications from a bonus program cannot be funded.
- The publication fees may not exceed the amount of 2,000 EUR incl. 19% VAT per article.
- Proportional funding of articles whose costs exceed the total amount of 2,000 EUR is not possible.
- The articles must contain a reference to the funding (e.g. "We acknowledge support by the Open Access Publication Fund of the University of Duisburg-Essen.").
- There is no additional funding if an article is partly financed from other subsidies.
Please send the original invoice to the addresses given on the right or by e-mail to email@example.com.
The UL will do the transfer. Invoices are processed in the order in which they are received until the funds from the Publication Fund have been exhausted.
Funding of monographs
The following guidelines apply to funding monographs or collective works from the Open Access Monographs Publication Fund:
Members of the UDE are eligible for funding as authors or editors .
Scope of funding
- The funding amount per publication is 4,500 € (gross).
In the event of higher expenditure due to page size, a large number of illustrations and tables or high costs for image rights or licenses, this sum can be increased to a maximum of 6,000 € (gross).
- Only costs for a genuine open-access publication will be funded; costs for a simultaneous print edition will not be funded.
- Pro rata funding is possible.
- The funding is limited to one publication per author per funding year.
- A commitment for funding can only be guaranteed for a period of up to 12 months in order not to commit funds too long-term.
- Quality assurance must be granted (e.g. through peer review, peer reviewers, editors, scientific editing, etc.).
This is common for publishers listed in the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB).
- The publication is made under an Open Access compliant license, a CC-BY license is recommended. In addition, the publications receive Persistent Identifiers, i.e. a DOI or URN.
- The rights to illustrations and other third party material have been clarified.
- Long-term archiving must be guaranteed (e.g. via the German National Library)
Legal notice / Imprint
- Information on Open Access and the CC license is clearly contained in the imprint of the online and print editions.
- Upon publication, the publications (print and online editions) contain a note that they were funded by the UDE publication fund.
The funded publications are made available on the UDE document server DuEPublico.
Pleas note in addition:
The publisher must submit a cost calculation; a flat-rate Open Access fee cannot be accepted.
All contents on these pages are for information purposes only and are not legally binding.