Services for people with special needs
Especially for students with visual impairment
Staff members from our Department for Digital Services are working on converting teaching materials from a pdf format to a reader-friendly EPUB format, Word format or any other needed format.
We are providing advice and will respond to your personal needs as far as possible. In addition, we take care of legal and technical issues and cooperate with colleagues from the UAR libraries.
Please use our service and contact our colleague in charge:
Digital Library Services
Duisburg campus, LK 130
+49 (0) 203 379 1504
Especially for students with reduced hearing ability
In all branch libraries, a portable audio induction loop system (LoopHear) is available for people with reduced hearing ability to receive audio signals without any interference through their hearing aid.
An induction loop transmits audio signals clearly and free of other distracting noise in the environment the hearing-impaired listener. For library users, who don't have a hearing aid or a "T" (telecoil) button at their device, earphones are available.
Please contact information services in the respective branch library.
Barrier-free access to the branch libraries, lifts
Duisburg campus, LK Library:
- Lotharstr. 65
- main entrance with automatic sliding doors
- all floors accessible by lift
- library offices not accessible to wheelchair users (fire doors without automatic door openers)
- lift from level 3.5 to level 3
- some emergency exits only accessible via 3 steps upwards and one step downstairs
Duisburg campus, MC Library:
- Lotharstr. 1
- wheelchair accessible
- access to the library areas through automatic doors
- adjustable turnstile, can be opened to pass through
Duisburg campus, BA Library:
- Bismarckstr. 81
- accessible to wheelchair users by elevator from the back of the building
- limited access to the library areas (fire door)
Essen campus, Humanities and Social Sciences Library:
- Universitätsstr. 9 - 11
- broader entrance via ramp with 10% incline from the campus / courtyard [between R09 and R11]
- 1st and 2nd floor are accessible via lifts
Essen campus, MNT Library:
- Universitätsstr. 15 (entrance V15 from the campus / courtyard)
- automatic door opener at the building entrance V15
- the library is situated on the 1st floor (S01 C19)
- a lift is available
- automatic door opener at library entrance door
- Hufelandstr. 55 [University Hospital, Holsterhausen]
- wheelchair accessible
- a lift and ramps are available within the building
Please note! Currently, no wheelchair accessible toilet is available in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library!
Restoration in the R11 building on the Essen campus
Comprehensive restoration works in the building R11 on the Essen campus are expected to last until spring of 2018.
Due to this, no wheelchair accessible toilet is available in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library. Please use these toilets instead:
- in the R12 building (close the Café Rosso entrance),
- in the S07 building (ground floor) or
- in the V15 building (for example in hallway R on the ground floor).
- one wheelchair accessible toilet on the ground floor in the LK Libary
- unfortunately no wheelchair accessible toilet in the MNT Library -
one toilet is located in the same building (V15), level 0, towards V17, in aisle G
- one wheelchair accessible toilet on the ground floor in the Medical Libary
PC workstation, equipped with screen reader JAWS
In the LK Library (Duisburg) and in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library (Essen), one pc workstation is equipped with the screen reader software JAWS.
JAWS (Job Access with Speech) uses audio response via sound card output to read the current screen content (webpages, documents from word processing) to the user.
You will find the PCs near to the information desks.
In some cases people with special needs may apply for a library card that includes extended loan periods.
In addition, lockers are available at special conditions (easy access, extended loan periods). Please contact the library staff at the lending desks.
Do you have more questions?
Are you looking for literature?
Do you need assistance?
If necessary, you can leave your book lists with the staff. We will collect them and place them for you at the lending desk. Individual items can also be fetched right away for you.