Printing, copying, scanning

Where can I copy, print and scan?

In all branch libraries, copiers for printing and copying
as well as various scanners are available.

Can I copy and print on white paper?

The "Initiative für Nachhaltigkeit (IfN)" of the Duisburg-Essen University supports within the project "BENA - Nachhaltigkeit entdecken" the motto "Reduce - Reuse - Recycle".
All copiers in the branch libraries are equipped with white recycling paper.

How much does it cost?

Printing and copying cost as follows:

DIN A4 format, black and white 0.045 € per sheet
DIN A4 format, colour 0.195 € per sheet
DIN A3 format, black and white 0.081 € per sheet
DIN A3 format, colour 0.381 € per sheet

The credit on the student ID / copy cards must be at least about 0.08 € for b/w copiers and about 0.38 € for colour copiers.

You can use the scanners for free.

How do I pay?

UDE students,
students of the Folkwang University and the University of Applied Sciences HRW

pay with the credit of your student IDs.

External users
can buy copy cards for the copiers at machines.

UDE staff members
can use special copiers which are operated with the copy cards (paper cards) from the faculties.
In addition, copy cards can be purchased for private printing. Alternatively, the payment function of the personal multifunctional chip card can be enabled for the printing system.

Can I get a receipt?

If you want to get a receipt of your printing or copying expenses, please contact the Student Union (Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg). Please provide the number of your copy card or your user ID.

Where can I get a copy card?

Copy cards are available at machines in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library and in the LK Library. A copy card costs 5.00 €. The 5.00 € cover a deposit of 4.00 € and an initial budget.

Where can I recharge my student ID / my copy card?

Top-up-machines are available in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, the LK Library and MNT Library. You can top up your card with notes from 5.00 € up.

The maximum credit may not exceed 99.00 €.

Where can I return my copy card?

You can return your copy card in one of the University cafeterias in Duisburg or Essen and get back the 4.00 € deposit.

Where can I return my copy card? Whom do I contact if there is a problem?

In case of technical problems with the copiers, for example defective copies or printouts, please contact the e-Point. Staff members will forward all error messages to Konica-Minolta.

Please contact the Student Union (Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg):

  • if you have problems with copy cards or student IDs
  • if you want to return your copy card and get your deposit back
Essen campus: Duisburg campus:
Mon, Wed, Thu  11am - 3pm Mon - Thu  11am - 1pm

Reckhammerweg 1

Card Service Essen
Sonja Struensee, Anastasia Goudinoudi
+49 (0) 201 82010 111

Building MM, Lotharstraße 23

Card Service Duisburg
Bettina Laube
+49 (0) 203 379 4169

Please note:
For technical reasons, the processing of complaints is only possible with a time delay.

Read more

Can I print from all PC workstations?

Yes. Open your file or webpage at one of the PCs and start the printing process.

You can choose if you would like to print at one of the copiers:

      Choose of printer


Printing at the copiers:

Choose the printer "Druckausgabe" or "Druckausgabe (Farbe)".
There will be an authentification request at the Internet PCs in the branch libraries:

      Bitte Anmeldedaten eingeben

Please login with your UDE ID (= "Unikennung") and your password. Your print jobs will be assigned automatically to your student ID or your employee ID.

External users receive the login data for their copy card ("white card") at the e-Point.

Students of the Folkwang University and the Ruhr-West University of Applied Sciences also contact the e-Point.

Where can I print?

Print jobs created at the PC workstations can be printed at all copiers.

How do I start printing?

  • Insert your student ID or you employee ID into the card reader.
  • Choose "Drucken" (="printer") to enter the print menu.
  • All print jobs which are assigned to your ID are displayed.
  • You can print all jobs at once or choose single jobs for printing.

How long will my print job be ready for me?

Print jobs are available up to five days at the copiers. You can manage your print jobs with the programm "QPilot" which is available at the PCs in the branch libraries.

Start the programm by clicking on the symbol in the task bar:

    QPilot symbol in the task bar

Insert your UDE ID (= "Unikennung") again and a list with your print jobs is displayed:

QPilot: Liste der Druckaufträge

You can now delete one or more jobs or mark them "as not yet printed" (= "als nicht gedruckt markieren") to print them again.

Can I print in colour?

Yes, that is possible at the colour copiers. Please choose the printer "... (Farbe)" when you send your print job.

Please note:

Not all copiers can print in colour!
Colour copiers are clearly marked by signs on the front.

You can either choose colour or black-and-white print. If you choose colour print, every pages of your document will cost at the price for a colour copy.

There is a default setting for for black-and-white printouts at all PCs. If you want to print in colour, please choose the printer "Druckausgabe (Farbe)" or change the printing options in the settings.

Can I print files from my USB flash drive?

Yes. Please open your file (PDF, Word, Excel) at one of the PCs first. You can send your print job to the copiers.

Can I copy in colour?

Yes, you can copy in colour on some copiers. 
Please choose the option "Vollfarbe" in the display:

How do I recognize a colour copier?

There are few colour copiers in the branch libraries. They are clearly marked by signs on the front.

In addition, you can recognize a colour copier by the little colourful flag next to the type description which is located on the front in a knee-high position. 

Can I copy on DIN A3 format?

Yes, you can copy in DIN A3 format at some copiers.
Please choose "A3" on the display:

Can I copy on foil sheets?

No, it is not possible to insert foil sheets into the copiers.

Are there special copiers for UDE staff members?

Special copiers for UDE staff members are available in all branch libraries except the Medical Library.

These special  copiers can only be operated with copy cards (paper cards) acquired in the faculties. Copy cards of the AStA or of other institutions are not valid.

Which scanners are available?

Various scanners are available in all branch libraries.

To the overview of the different scanners

How much does it cost?

You can use the scanners for free. Please bring your USB flash drive.

Can I scan directly to my USB flash drive?

Yes, you can scan directly to your USB flash drive on all copiers and scanners.

Please proceed as follows:
  • insert your copy card into the card reader (there will be no costs!)
  • insert your USB flash drive into the port on the top right
  • confirm  the option "Dokument in externen Speicher ablegen" (= "export document to external storage medium")
  • choose "Anwendung" (= "application")
  • activate "separater Scan" (= "separate scan")
  • click on the check mark to leave the menu
  • use the default file name or choose a new one
  • if necessary, adjust the scan options (for example coloured scan)
  • press "Start"
  • when the scan is complete, choose "beenden" (= "end") and press "Start" again
  • remove your card and your USB flash drive

Can I buy a USB flash drive in the library?

USB flash drives (32 GB) with a value of 6.30 € are available at the lending desks in all branch libraries. In the LK Library, Humanities and Social Sciences Library and MNT Library you can buy a coupon/voucher at the pay machines.

Can I send my scans by email?

No emails can be send on the copiers.

You can email your scans at the flat bed scanners respectively at the connected PCs.