ORCID and author ids
Get visible with ORCID!
What is ORCID? And how do I benefit from it?
ORCID means "Open Researcher and Contributor ID" and is an internationally acknowledged ID for scientists and researchers, which distinctly matches publications and research results with a person - for a distinct reference to authors is not possible only by names.
In addition to the ID an ORCID profile can match a person's name (in all variations), the institutional affiliation, the professional career and the research results and publications. The scientist decides what kind of information gets visible.
With an own ORCID profile
- you have got a distinct ID that avoids wrong correlations - even with name variations, name changes or different spellings,
- the visibility of your research increases, for your publications are all compiled under your ORCID ID, even if they are e.g. not listed in international databases,
- you can take your publication list anywhere and administer it transition-free, because your ORCID profile is independent,
- you only have to state you ORCID ID when dealing with publishers. There are already some publishers that explicitly require an ORCID ID from their authors (Please read https://orcid.org/content/requiring-orcid-publication-workflows-open-letter).
"Trusted parties" can ease your workload
You can establish cooperation partners, so-called "Trusted parties", so that information such as publication notifications will be added to your profile automatically.
The following applies to all settings of your ORCID profile:
- You decide which rights you grant and who you make a "Trusted Party".
- You can withdraw granted rights at any time.
With the University of Duisburg-Essen already being an ORCID member, you can soon make us a "Trusted Party" and we will support you in maintaining your ORCID profile and your personal publication list.
In an automated manner,
- we enter publications recorded in the university bibliography to your ORCID profile,
- we add the indication of affiliation to the Duisburg-Essen University as well as further authors’ IDs or name variations to your ORCID profile,
- we copy bibliographical data from the ORCID profile to the university bibliography.