Registration & library card
Students & employees of the UDE
Students and employees of the UDE need to register their data once.
Registration takes place via Shibboleth using your university ID.
Please log in with your university ID and complete the registration form.
To the online registration
You already have a library account and would like to add your university ID?
Please contact the lending desk in person or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
External users who wish to register for the first time should fill in the registration form before coming to the library.
To the online registration
Afterwards, you can get your free library card at one of the lending desks. Please note our service hours.
You can apply for the renewal of the card validity online.
Please scan your external library card and send the scan together with scans of the necessary documents by email to email@example.com.
Can I use my student ID or employee ID as a library card?
The following use their student ID or employee ID card for borrowing:
- UDE students,
- UDE staff members,
- guest students at the UDE,
- students and staff memberts of the Folkwang University of Arts,
- students and staff memberts of the HRW University of Applied Sciences.
Do I get a library card?
The following will get a free library card:
- UDE staff members without employee ID,
- members of the University Clinic Essen,
- part-time lecturers at the UDE,
- students and staff members of other universities under the responsible body of the federal land of NRW,
- school students,
- all interested citizens resident in Germany.
Please note our special information for school students.
Which documents do I need to provide?
- Valid German ID
German passport together with a recent registration of residence (not older than 6 months).
- Foreign ID or passport together with a recent registration of residence (not older than 6 months)
Valid temporary residence permit ( = Aufenthaltstitel), if it contains the address.
Please provide the following documents in addition:
- UDE staff members without employee ID
--> contract of employment
- members of the University Clinic Essen
--> employee ID or contract of employment
- part-time lecturers at the UDE
--> teaching assignment
--> a signed written declaration of consent from the legal representative
Please get you card blocked as soon as possible.
If you lost or damaged your student ID or your employee ID, please contact the responsible office of the UDE or at your university.
If you should need a replacement card, a charge of 10.00 € is due for a library card of an external user or an University member who does not have an employee ID or a student ID.