Promoting equality and diversity
UDE’s talents are as diverse as their research
There are many decisions to be made and new skills to be learned on the academic career path, and this journey is unique for each researcher. In order to support candidates meet the different needs during their academic path, we emphasize incorporating aspects of equality, diversity, and work-life balance. They are an integral part of our counselling and training offers. We focus on fostering individual talents by providing transparent information and strengthening the exchange of knowledge and experience amongst peers.
On this page, you will find an overview of selected key topics of the many services we offer and links to contact information on the topics of equality, diversity, and work-life balance.
Your contact person
Stephanie Sera is your contact person in our team for all matters concerning equality, compatibility, and diversity in the promotion of early career researchers. She offers career counselling and coaching for female researchers and advises research collaborations at the UDE on implementing suitable measures in the area of gender equality (Gender Consulting).
Click to see our offers on the following topics:
Promoting female researchers
The higher the career level, the lower the proportion of women in academia. In Germany, only 26% of professorships are currently held by women. To support female researchers on their career paths, we offer specific formats:
- Career counselling and coaching for women
- Gender consulting for research collaborations at the UDE
- workshops as part of our regular training programmes
Networking opportunities in English
International researchers often face language barriers when it comes to qualification, information, and networking offers. Therefore, we include English-language workshops in our regular formats and address this target group with events specifically tailored to their needs in order to facilitate their access.
For doctoral researchers:
First-generation in academia
Being the first in the family to complete a doctorate is often both an exciting and challenging step. Academic research, with its own game rules, can seem unmanageable at first. To support first-generation researchers with their questions and challenges, we offer the following formats:
- Coaching and counselling
- Topic-specific events in our programmes
Complex requirements and fixed-term employment contracts can be mentally challenging for early career researchers. We provide information about strategies and measures to better cope with stress, time and performance pressure to prevent mental overload.
- Coaching and counselling
- Regular workshops in our programmes
We are well-connected
We cooperate closely with the UDE’s and the UA Ruhr’s counselling institutions to offer you the best possible support.
Service points at the UDE
- International Office
- Aurora universities network for increasing the mobility of researchers between European universities
- Doctoral researchers network (DONNA*)
- Essen College of Gender Research
- Family service at the UDE
- Equal opportunities officer at the UDE
- Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Integrations- und Migrationsforschung (InZentIM)
- Inklusionsbeauftragte ("Inclusion Officer"
- LGBTIQ network UDE
- Vice-Rector for Social Responsibility, Diversity and International Affairs
- Representative for disabled persons at the UDE
We also hold close ties to the following institutions and networks on a regular and on demand-oriented basis:
- Arbeiterkind e.V.
- Erste Generation Promotion e.V.
- Forum Mentoring
- Women's & Gender Research Network NRW
- Netzwerk Gender Consulting in Forschungsverbünden
- The PROMI project – promoting inclusive doctoral studies
- German University Association of Advanced Graduate Training (GUAT/UniWiND), AG Diversitätsaspekte
- Antidiskriminierungsstelle des Bundes
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft trans*emanzipatorische Hochschulpolitik
- Bundeskonferenz der Frauen- und Gleichstellungsbeauftragten an Hochschulen (bukof)
- Diversity Portal of the UDE
- Digitale Plattform des Prorektorats GDI und des Gleichstellungsbüros "Diversität, Inklusion, Vereinbarkeit, Gleichstellung: Zukunftshandeln in Corona-Zeiten"
- TransInterQueer e.V.