For prospective students (Teaching Post)
Future physics teachers have a great responsibility and they face a great challenge. They are expected to inspire joy and motivation in future generations for scientific research and topics in the natural sciences. Since physics will continue to be a shortage subject in schools in the long term, the career prospects are also very good in the future.
What is physics?
In physics, fundamental phenomena in nature are studied in order to explain their properties and behavior with laws. In addition to the other natural sciences, applied sciences such as medicine or engineering are also partly dependent on physics. It plays a role in almost all areas of our everyday life, even in places where one would not immediately suspect it. Physics is therefore a very exciting subject and extremely important for our future. To secure our economic and ecological future, people with physics skills are increasingly needed so that we are able to develop competitive technologies and products.
Why study physics (teaching post) with us?
- We make it easier for you to get started. Different introductory courses are offered for students of the teaching profession at Haupt-, Real- and Gesamtschulen and for students of the teaching profession at Gymnasien and Gesamtschulen. In the subject-physics part of all degree programs, there are exclusively independent courses tailored to the needs of future teachers.
- The University of Duisburg-Essen is a center of teacher training in North Rhine-Westphalia and a center of empirical educational research. Physics didactics is represented here by two professorships.
- The Faculty of Physics at the University of Duisburg-Essen enjoys an excellent reputation. In the Excellence Ranking of the Center for Higher Education Development (CHE), in which 500 departments at about 250 universities in 20 European countries were analyzed, the University of Duisburg-Essen achieved the best position in NRW and seventh place among German universities. So you will be close to the latest developments in education and teaching, and you will come into contact with current research results from the didactics of physics and physics itself in your seminars. After the master's degree, you have the opportunity to do a doctorate in physics didactics or in the subject.
- With us, you can expect good supervision and the best conditions for a speedy, successful study.
Structure of the study program
At the University of Duisburg-Essen you can study the teaching professions for the following types of schools.
- Gymnasien and Gesamtschulen (LGyGe)
- Berufskollegs (LBK)
- Haupt- Real- and Gesamtschulen (LHRGe)
- Grundschulen (LGr)
- For the teaching profession at Haupt- Real- und Gesamtschulen (LHRGe) and for the teaching profession at Gymnasien und Gesamtschulen (LGyGe), physics can be combined as a core subject with all other subjects.
- For the teaching profession at elementary schools, you will study the learning area Sachunterricht, which contains, among other things, study components from physics and the other natural sciences.
You can find out about current research topics at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Duisburg-Essen by clicking on the link below. As you can see, the research spectrum is very broad. In addition, the faculty is and has been active in a leading role in large collaborative research centers!
What makes the Faculty of Physics at the University of Duisburg-Essen special?
The Faculty of Physics at the University of Duisburg-Essen is a medium-sized,aculty. This offers great advantages: