Audio-visual media & microforms
The Duisburg-Essen University Library offers access to numerous "non-book" materials, i.e. primarily microforms, AV media and electronic media, whether as CD-ROMs available in the branch libraries or accessible on the internet.
All AV media, microforms, CD-ROM editions, etc., are listed in our online catalogue Primo
The majority of the non-book materials can be borrowed.
The LK Library (Duisburg) and the Humanities and Social Sciences Library (Essen) each hold approximately 200.000 microfiches and about 7000 microfilms. The following are particularly important:
- Newspapers and journals:
- German- and some foreign-language daily and weekly newspapers, some from their first issue
- old journals and newspapers
- "Deutsche Zeitschriften des 18. und 19. Jahrhunderts" in which over 400 newpapers and journals are completely on film
- "Edition Bibliothek der Deutschen Literatur" in which 15.000 works are on film arranged according to the "Taschengoedeke"
- German Baroque Literature
- Marburger Index, a photographic index of art in Germany
- old encyclopedias and reference work
- Security film records of our own holdings
- Documents of the European Union
Microforms cannot be borrowed.
Microform scanners are available to read and to produce scans on paper.
Please make an appointment for using the mikroform scanners.
Click here for the service hours at the information desks.
AV media include:
- Language courses:
- courses for beginners and advanced learners in many European and Asian languages
- special languages (e.g. technical English, French for economics)
- German for foreign learners
- preparation for language tests (e.g. TOEFL)
- CDs and DVDs
Media supplements (e.g. CD-ROMs) are usually stored and borrowed with the books.
Media supplements to magazines are either located in the media magazine or are freely accessible separately. They are listed in the catalog and can be ordered through Primo.