B.Sc. Civil Engineering

Study period

Full time: 7 semesters (3,5 years)
Part time: 14 semesters (7 years)



Study begin

Winter semester

Study place

Campus Essen




The program imparts both scientific fundamentals of civil engineering such as mathematics, technical mechanics, materials as well as basic knowledge in physics, chemistry, engineering biology as well as a broad basic knowledge in the central subject-specific fundamental subjects of civil engineering: construction operations and construction management, geotechnics, infrastructure systems, structural engineering, numerical methods and construction informatics, ecosystems and environmental engineering, statics and dynamics, urban planning, traffic, water.

The Bachelor of Science degree offers the possibility of consecutive or interdisciplinary continuation in a Master's program in the national or international area. In addition, the degree provides an initial qualification for professional work as a civil engineer with the obligation of qualified in-service training. The latter enables employment as ordinary engineers with construction companies, commercial enterprises, engineering offices and in the public sector. In this context, graduates take on tasks within the scope of planning, design and calculation, construction, through to project development and marketing, modernization and maintenance, monitoring and control of construction projects.

Study at UDEStudy plan

Study plan

Study plan

You can find the examination regulations for your study program here: Examination regulations according to study programs

Study plans as well as information about the modules in the study program can be found in the module database:

B.Sc. Civil Engineering Graphic illustration

Information material

Prospective students will find an overview of the study program, as well as current information on exams, practical and research project selection and other relevant topics here.

Study plan as well as information about the modules in the study program can be found in the module database: VDB


Admission requirements

Entitlement to admission to the Bachelor's program is acquired by the certificate of higher education entrance qualification (general higher education entrance qualification or subject-linked higher education entrance qualification) or a certificate recognized as equivalent by legal regulation or by the competent state authority.

According to § 49 para. 4 HG, access to the Bachelor's program is also granted to those who have qualified in vocational education. Further details are regulated by the Regulations on Admission to Higher Education for Students Qualified in Vocational Education and Training at the University of Duisburg-Essen.

Applicants who have not acquired their entrance qualifications at a German-speaking institution must provide evidence of sufficient German language skills in accordance with the Regulations for the German Language Examination for University Admission of Foreign Student Applicants (DSH) before beginning their studies.

The prescribed qualifications can be waived if the applicant proves a special subject-related aptitude and a general education corresponding to the requirements of the university within the framework of an aptitude test or aptitude assessment.


Unrestricted admission (study places are not limited)

Enrollment takes place during the enrollment period at the student register's office on the Essen campus.

Prospective students from non-EU countries submit their application to uni-assist by 15.07. This applies to all German-language Bachelor's degree programs and includes applications for direct admission to the study program.

Special enrollment requirements

12 weeks (if possible before the start of studies, at the latest by the end of the 3rd semester)
(see internship regulations)


You can find a selection of for non-mandatory, but recommended preliminary courses at Mintroduce.

Language Skills

The language of instruction at the University of Duisburg-Essen is German (except in the English-language programs). Therefore, you must have good German language skills if you want to study successfully. The majority of foreign applicants must pass the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH 2 level; with some exceptions) before beginning their studies.

  • German nationals (persons who have acquired their higher education entrance qualification in Germany or at a German school abroad) do not require any special proof of German language skills.
  • Citizens of an EU member state (and citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or German citizens with a foreign educational qualification, as well as
  • Citizens of a country outside the EU with a foreign university entrance qualification must pass the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH 2 level) or the TestDaF (TDN 4) before the begin of their studies.

Information on the German Language Test for University Entrance (DSH)

General Information

Living & Studying at the University of Duisburg-Essen


The academic year is divided into semesters.

  • Winter semester: from October to March
  • Summer semester: from April to September

Lecture period

The winter lecture period usually starts in mid-October and ends in mid-February. In summer, the lecture period usually starts in mid-April and ends in July. During the winter semester there is a break of about two weeks during the Christmas holidays.

Examination phase

The examination phase begins about one week after the end of the lecture period and lasts about seven weeks.

Semester fee

All students have to pay a semester fee (social contribution) of about 320,- Euro per semester. You can find the current amount here. The social contribution includes, among other things, a semester ticket for public transportation in North Rhine-Westphalia and discounts on meals in the university's canteen and cafeteria.

Living expenses

We recommend to consider approximately 800 to 1000 Euro of personal expenses per month. 


Accommodation is possible in dormitories of the Studierendenwerk and in premises of the free housing market. The rent in a room in a student dormitory is about 300,- Euro per month. You can find more information about housing options here.


You have questions? We have answers!

Universitätsstr. 15 45141 Essen

Support Center for (International) Engineering Students Student advisory service

V13 S03 C58
Universitätsstr. 15
45141 Essen
Phone: +49 (0)201 183 6500
E-mail: scies-essen@uni-due.de


Student council Civil Engineering

We are your point of contact! If you have questions about your studies or general concerns about us or our lecturers, you can contact us. We will solve your problems and answer your questions directly if possible or forward you to the right people. Just write us an email (fs-bau-uni-essen@gmx.de).

Website of the student council

For prospective students and enrolled students General student counseling

ABZ offers counseling to prospective students, enrolled students and graduates on all questions concerning the choice of study program, studies and the transition into working career.

ABZ student counseling

Support in the Faculty

Prof. Dr. Martin Denecke
V15 R05 H03, Tel.: 0201/183-2742
Office hours: by appointment

Board of examiners